Physics question - Forces on a mass on horizontal surface

In summary, the mass is acted upon by a force of 150 N and a frictional force of 100 N. The work done on the mass is 20 m/s^2.
suzy123
Physics question -- Forces on a mass on horizontal surface

Homework Statement

A 2.5 kg mass at rest on a horizontal surface is acted upon by an applied horizontal force of 150 N. A frictional force of 100 N acts on the mass. How much work is done on the mass?

Homework Equations

I'm not too sure if any equation would be used.

The Attempt at a Solution

Again, I am not sure how to answer this question. I think that the work would be 0 but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! Which direction is the horizontal force moving this mass. Can you draw the diagram (if any)?

Hi suzy123,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

In addition to the previous comment, there seems to be information missing in the problem statement. Does the original problem statement tell you how far the mass moves, or the distance to which the force is applied? Or maybe the time period that the force is applied? (Anything along those lines?)

Do you know if it is acceptable to give your answer in terms of some other variable like distance traveled or time?

Hi there!

This is all of the information i was given for this question and no diagram was included.

Different tack: what equations would you have at hand in case we manage to convince you that, in order to come up with a quantitative answer, you do need to make use of some equations nevertheless ?

suzy123 said:

Homework Statement

A 2.5 kg mass at rest on a horizontal surface is acted upon by an applied horizontal force of 150 N. A frictional force of 100 N acts on the mass. How much work is done on the mass?

Homework Equations

I'm not too sure if any equation would be used.

The Attempt at a Solution

Again, I am not sure how to answer this question. I think that the work would be 0 but I am not sure.

suzy123 said:
Hi there!

This is all of the information i was given for this question and no diagram was included.

You need to show some effort of your own, or this thread will be deleted. Our Homework Help rules here on the PF require that you show some effort on your question, and that you do the bulk of the work.

I made another attempt at the question.
so I used the f=ma formula. I substituted (150 N-100 N) for f, 2.5 kg for m and I solved for a. I got 20 m/s^2 for a. would I use one of the accelerated motion formulas to possibly solve for d? then substitute it into the w=fd formula?

Well I'm not sure how to find the work honestly. Typically the equation w=F*d, however you aren't given distance or time. So I guess you could use (not sure though) the equation v=at. so it seems you have right answer for a, then just equate d=v and you should have a work eq. with t.

suzy123 said:

Homework Statement

The information given are mass,and force.
Even though mass and force gives acceleration,
none of the four kinematics equations will be useful here.
##v=u+at## -
##S=\frac{1}{2}(u+v)t##
##S=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2##
##v^2=u^2+2as##

The equations require at least time to be given(to find distance) or distance to find work done.
So this question lacks enough information.
It's like saying what is the work done if a force of 1N acts on a mass of 1kg.We don't know the distance the forces acted.It can be 100m,1000m or 10^100m.We don't know.

1. What is the formula for calculating the force on a mass on a horizontal surface?

The formula for calculating the force on a mass on a horizontal surface is F = m*a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. How do I determine the direction of the force on a mass on a horizontal surface?

The direction of the force on a mass on a horizontal surface is determined by the direction of the acceleration. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the mass, the force will be positive. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, the force will be negative.

3. What are the units of measurement for force?

The units of measurement for force are Newtons (N). Other commonly used units include pounds (lb) and kilograms (kg).

4. Can the force on a mass on a horizontal surface be negative?

Yes, the force on a mass on a horizontal surface can be negative if the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the mass. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the motion of the mass.

5. How does the force on a mass on a horizontal surface affect its motion?

The force on a mass on a horizontal surface affects its motion by causing it to accelerate. The greater the force, the greater the acceleration. If the force is balanced by an equal and opposite force, the mass will remain at a constant velocity.