1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Question Involving Angular Speed and Angular Velocity.

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An early method of measuring the speed of light makes use of a rotating slotted wheel. A beam of light passes through a slot at the outside edge of the wheel, as in Fig. 10-29, travels to a distant mirror, and returns to the wheel just in time to pass through the next slot in the wheel. One such slotted wheel has a radius of 5.6 cm and 75 slots at its edge. Measurements taken when the mirror is L = 800 m from the wheel indicate a speed of light of 3.0 x 105 km/s. (a) What is the (constant) angular speed of the wheel? (b) What is the linear speed of a point on the edge of the wheel?

fizg0.gif

2. Relevant equations

t=(2L)/C

angular velcity= answer is part a *.056m

3. The attempt at a solution

For part (a)
    I did use =angle/time

angle I solve (2Pi)/75 = .083776

I used t = 2L/c = 2(800)/(3x10^8) = .000005 sec

Then divided .083776/.000005 = 16755.2 rad/s

For part (b)

= my answer is part(a) * .056m

=938.291 rad/s

I know I'm doing something wrong, but don't know what it is. Can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get 15,707 rad/s. You're introducing a huge error by prematurely rounding the value of the Δt to 5e-6 s when it should be 5.333333333333e-6 s. Keep all significant figures in intermediate calculation steps. Round only the final answer at the end.

4. Nov 27, 2011 #3
    You are right I rounded to early so it affected by final answer thank you very much and I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook