1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Velocity and Acceleration

1. Apr 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a bike wheel rotates 9.4 times while slowing down to a stop from an initial angular velocity of 8.1 rad/s, what is the magnitude of the angular acceleration in rad/s/s
    2. Relevant equations
    α = at / r
    α = ω / t
    α = Θ / t^2
    ω = Θ / t
    ω = v / r
    Θ = ω t + 0.5 α t^2
    v final = v initial + at → ω final = ω initial + αt
    some of these formulas may be useless, and there possibly are some others not mentioned that i do not know :/
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Knowing the initial angular velocity is 8.1 and the final is 0 since the wheel stops, i used
    ω final = ω initial + αt
    0 = 8.1 + αt
    it spins 9.4 times in the time frame during which it slows down, but the radius of the wheel is not given. And i do not know which ω to use in the equation ω = Θ / t in order to find time. If i could get time, then i could use the equation α = ω / t or α = Θ / t^2. Am i even approaching this correctly? if not can somebody point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,

There is another SUVAT equation you need to translate into uniformly decelerated angular motion: ##s = s_0 + v_0 t + {1\over 2} at^2##.

##\theta## takes the place of s (and one revolution is ##2\pi##) to give you a second equation. That way you have 2 eqns for ##\alpha## and ##t##, so you should be able to solve.

4. Apr 14, 2016 #3
    i am still confused as to what two equations these are, if you could provide them for me or hint at what they would be i would greatly appreciate it. I am unsure of what s0 would be, i understand that theta substitutes for s, but it couldn't be for both sides. Is 2pi x 9.4 supposed to be s?

5. Apr 15, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

$$\theta(t) = \theta_0 + \omega_0 t + {1\over 2} \alpha t^2 $$ it's that simple (for constant angular acceleration/deceleration -- then ##\alpha < 0##).

You don't know ##\theta(t)## and ##\theta_0## but you do know their difference (indeed, the angle you mention).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted