Physics REUs 2016: Applying & Updates

In summary, the schools that the applicant applied to have received a very low number of applications.
Finesagan said:
Yes. It seems UCLA have already filled their spots. There were 12 chosen out of 400 applicants.
do you know what the date was when they filled them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanderbilt said my app is in final selection. Said they are waiting on NSF grant info before any offers can be made. what exactly does this mean?

rangerazlm said:
Vanderbilt said my app is in final selection. Said they are waiting on NSF grant info before any offers can be made. what exactly does this mean?
How did you hear this? Did they email you or did you ask them about the status?

I asked about the status

rangerazlm said:
I asked about the status
Okay, thanks. It just means that they need to ensure that the NSF will give them the money for your REU before they can send out offers.

But what exactly does "final selection" likely refer to?

Should I be worried that I applied to four REUs and haven't heard back from any? Has anyone heard from UC Davis, University of Michigan, TREND (University of Maryland), or Georgia Tech?

I know Georgia Tech extended their application deadline a couple times, so they might not have their decisions until later.

idkidk1212 said:
Should I be worried that I applied to four REUs and haven't heard back from any? Has anyone heard from UC Davis, University of Michigan, TREND (University of Maryland), or Georgia Tech?

I know Georgia Tech extended their application deadline a couple times, so they might not have their decisions until later.
Email them

rangerazlm said:
Email them
I've thought about it, but I didn't know if it would make me seem impatient. You think they wouldn't have a problem with it?

No, they have coordinators to do exactly that. Email people.

I received an email yesterday from UC Davis asking if I am interested in an offer from them.

Waiting to hear from UC Davis, CU Boulder, UWashington, MSU, Vanderbilt, Lehigh...
Plus the IBM internship, don't know if anyone else on here applied to that.

idkidk1212 said:

To add to the "email them" comment, the faculty member who runs the REU at my school said that it's generally a good idea to phrase the email along the lines of:

"You are my first choice for an REU. Please tell me when I can hear about your decision so that I can make plans for any offers I get from other REUs. Ideally, I would love to accept yours."

In your own, more courteous, words, of course.

Likes Joshy
yeshuamo said:
To add to the "email them" comment, the faculty member who runs the REU at my school said that it's generally a good idea to phrase the email along the lines of:

"You are my first choice for an REU. Please tell me when I can hear about your decision so that I can make plans for any offers I get from other REUs. Ideally, I would love to accept yours."

In your own, more courteous, words, of course.

That's great advice! Thank you so much.

Yea, I still have not heard from Vanderbilt. Its making me very nervous.

Lehigh Univ. offer for Theoretical Plasma Physics 3/24/16

I emailed U of Michigan. I am on the short list and am set to interview with the REU director in the coming days.

Grrrr. I haven't heard back from :

Michigan State University
Pennsylvania State University
University of Pennsylvania
UC Boulder
UCLA
UC Davis
U Michigan

The only schools I've heard back from were MIT, (rejection), and Columbia (wait-listed). I am really nervous now. Definitely will send out some emails to check on my status...

I feel like this REU year, the schools are taking much longer to get back to students. I hear someone got into Lehigh, So I will assume that I am in that denial category. Vanderbilt is my number one choice and my last one at that. Still nothing from them either.

I emailed Vanderbilt again. They responded that the have not received confirmation funding confirmation.

Further I was told I was the first choice for TPP at Lehigh, so I imagine only the first round of offers is out from Lehigh.

Last edited:
MIT emailed the full REU roster yesterday. 12 positions filled. From what I can tell about the names, at least 10 of them are women. 2 are from the same school in Kentucky. Wide selection from schools throughout the country. Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors.

Vanderbilt should be soon , please post if anyone gets anything from them.

Cornell rejection 400 applicants 8 positions

A friend of mine received an offer from UC Davis.

Expanding on Rangerazlm, Vanderbilt said they should've gotten confirmation of their NSF grant renewal three weeks ago but due to an in office error they just got it yesterday and they're doing final selection and will be sending out offers this week, best of luck to anyone who applied!

Hi, does anyone know how many applied to UCLA physics REU?

LakeSide said:
Hi, does anyone know how many applied to UCLA physics REU?
12 accepted with over 400 applicants

I just received an acceptance letter from Columbia!

Received rejection letter from Penn State.

Hi. I just had a Skype interview for University of Michigan. My tips for any of you who have an interview:
Relax. I was overly nervous and that changed some of my responses. In retrospect, I wish I would have calmed down and put more energy into actually addressing questions!
Be prepared. You should be able to tell them about your goals, how your background fits in with that goal, and how that particular REU would help you achieve those goals. And be sure to organize your own questions to ask about their program.

PeanutButterPuffin said:
Hi. I just had a Skype interview for University of Michigan. My tips for any of you who have an interview:
Relax. I was overly nervous and that changed some of my responses. In retrospect, I wish I would have calmed down and put more energy into actually addressing questions!
Be prepared. You should be able to tell them about your goals, how your background fits in with that goal, and how that particular REU would help you achieve those goals. And be sure to organize your own questions to ask about their program.

Oh, I did the Skype interview for UM last year. I second this advice!

Is it bad if your not getting any request for interviews? Is that normal for reu's?

Last year, I was accepted into 4 out of 8 REU's, and didn't get any interview requests. This year, U Mich was my first and only REU that scheduled an interview, and that was only after I emailed them to ask about my status. So I wouldn't be too worried.

Last year, I received an offer from Northwestern CIERA on Mar 1.
This year, I received offers from SLAC DOE SULI, UC Davis REU, UWash Seattle REU. I accepted offer from SLAC. I received all these offers within the last 2 weeks of February.

I did get one rejection from UOregon yesterday.

I'm sure a lot of people have noticed that the SULI selection has come to an end.

I'm a bit salty about this ?:)

edit: @abc5dasar, I was able to work at SSRL last year performing near edge x-ray spectroscopy and interpreting its spectra along with first principles DFT calculations. Do you know which department or project you will be working with?

Last edited: