1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

REU applications with INC grade?

Tags:
  1. Jan 18, 2016 #1
    I'm a sophomore physics major and I've been filling out some REU applications, but I have an INC (incomplete) grade from last semester because I couldn't take a final due to medical reasons. The class was completely fine and I likely have an A-/B+, but I have to wait to take next semester's final rather than having an entirely new final drawn up for me.

My school is a bit harsh on this and counts INC grades as "failing" the class and calculates the GPA as if you had gotten an F on your official transcript until the grade is received. This class is an optional math course, not a core physics course, but the "failing" grade drops my GPA from around a 3.4 to a hair above 3.0.

What would be the best course of action for entering in my GPA and sending transcripts? I don't want to seem dishonest or like I'm making excuses, but I also don't want to get thrown out by filters or otherwise disadvantaged because of something uncontrollable.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2016 #2
    Tough call. It depends on the fine print of the applications, I guess.

On a resume, I'd list something like

GPA 3.x/4.0 (completed courses)

and leave out the incomplete course.

It's a bit tougher to interpret the meaning when all you have is a box in an online form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook