REU applications with INC grade?

In summary, the student is a sophomore physics major who is applying for REU programs. They have an INC grade from last semester due to medical reasons, but the class was not a core physics course. However, their school counts INC grades as failing and it has significantly impacted their GPA. The student is unsure of the best course of action for entering their GPA and sending transcripts without appearing dishonest or disadvantaged. The conversation also considers the best way to list GPA on a resume.
RadiumBlue
I'm a sophomore physics major and I've been filling out some REU applications, but I have an INC (incomplete) grade from last semester because I couldn't take a final due to medical reasons. The class was completely fine and I likely have an A-/B+, but I have to wait to take next semester's final rather than having an entirely new final drawn up for me.

My school is a bit harsh on this and counts INC grades as "failing" the class and calculates the GPA as if you had gotten an F on your official transcript until the grade is received. This class is an optional math course, not a core physics course, but the "failing" grade drops my GPA from around a 3.4 to a hair above 3.0.

What would be the best course of action for entering in my GPA and sending transcripts? I don't want to seem dishonest or like I'm making excuses, but I also don't want to get thrown out by filters or otherwise disadvantaged because of something uncontrollable.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tough call. It depends on the fine print of the applications, I guess.

On a resume, I'd list something like

GPA 3.x/4.0 (completed courses)

and leave out the incomplete course.

It's a bit tougher to interpret the meaning when all you have is a box in an online form.

1. Can I still apply for an REU program if I have an incomplete (INC) grade on my transcript?

Yes, most REU programs do not have specific grade requirements and will consider all applications regardless of any incomplete grades on your transcript. However, it is important to explain the reason for the incomplete grade in your application and provide any relevant documentation.

2. Will having an incomplete grade affect my chances of being accepted into an REU program?

It depends on the specific REU program and its selection criteria. Some programs may place more weight on grades, while others may prioritize research experience and potential. It is important to highlight any relevant research experience, skills, and achievements in your application to demonstrate your potential as a researcher.

3. Can I request an extension to complete the course and change the incomplete grade before the REU program starts?

It is best to contact the REU program directly to inquire about their policies on incomplete grades and extensions. Some programs may be flexible and allow for extensions, while others may have a strict deadline for accepting grades. It is important to communicate with the program as soon as possible to discuss your options.

4. Will I be required to submit an updated transcript with the completed course and grade before the REU program starts?

This also depends on the specific REU program. Some programs may request an updated transcript or proof of completion before the program starts, while others may not require it. It is important to clarify this with the program and make sure you are able to fulfill any requirements before the program begins.

5. Are there any other ways to make up for an incomplete grade on my transcript?

If you are unable to complete the course and change the incomplete grade before the REU program starts, you may consider taking a similar course at a different institution or completing an independent study project to demonstrate your understanding of the material. However, it is important to consult with the REU program and make sure they will accept these alternatives before pursuing them.