1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics sophomore trying to transfer. medical physics in mind after graduation

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    Hello,
    I'm a physics Major, and I want to transfer to another school.

I have 4 choices:

University of Wisconsin - Madison
    University of illinois at Chicago
    Indiana University Bloomington
    Purdue university

here is what I would consider:
    I'm a physics student but what's more important to me, is Medical physics. I want to go graduate school and obtain that degree.

Madison, bloomington, and Purdue, offer great undergrad research (true???) and they also offer: Introduction in medical physics as a course.

Illinois doesn't offer Introduction to medical Physics but it's the biggest medical schools, and they have affiliation with cancer centers etc...
    also Chicago is a big big city and beside the crimes(...) it has a lot to offer.

Purdue and Madison both have Medical physics graduate programs but purdue's is not Campep-accredited, Madison is.
    also chicago is the home University of chicago which offers also the Msc in MedPhys

so as you can see there are so many variables that I really dont know what to think, so I'm asking for people advices on this
    thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I would caution against mixing up graduate and undergraduate programs. Just because you complete an undergraduate degree at a particular school doesn't necessarily translate into any advantage to getting into that school's graduate program.

That being said, doing your undergrad at a school with a medical physics program naturally has some advantages in that you could get involved with a medical physics research-project, attend medical physics talks, and get to know professors in that field. The important things for undergraduate work are that you get a strong physics foundation, you do well in your classes, and that you enjoy the program (people who enjoy what they do tend to be a lot more successful than those just slogging through).

4. Oct 2, 2009 #3
    ok so if I put aside the graduate perspective, the best solutions would be to choose between Madison and Purdue then?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook