Physics sophomore trying to transfer. medical physics in mind after graduation

In summary: The best solution would be to choose between Madison and Purdue universities. Both universities have a great medical physics program and offer an Introduction to Medical Physics course.
Raioneru
Hello,
I'm a physics Major, and I want to transfer to another school.

I have 4 choices:

University of Wisconsin - Madison
University of illinois at Chicago
Indiana University Bloomington
Purdue university

here is what I would consider:
I'm a physics student but what's more important to me, is Medical physics. I want to go graduate school and obtain that degree.

Madison, bloomington, and Purdue, offer great undergrad research (true?) and they also offer: Introduction in medical physics as a course.

Illinois doesn't offer Introduction to medical Physics but it's the biggest medical schools, and they have affiliation with cancer centers etc...
also Chicago is a big big city and beside the crimes(...) it has a lot to offer.

Purdue and Madison both have Medical physics graduate programs but purdue's is not Campep-accredited, Madison is.
also chicago is the home University of chicago which offers also the Msc in MedPhys

so as you can see there are so many variables that I really don't know what to think, so I'm asking for people advices on this
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I would caution against mixing up graduate and undergraduate programs. Just because you complete an undergraduate degree at a particular school doesn't necessarily translate into any advantage to getting into that school's graduate program.

That being said, doing your undergrad at a school with a medical physics program naturally has some advantages in that you could get involved with a medical physics research-project, attend medical physics talks, and get to know professors in that field. The important things for undergraduate work are that you get a strong physics foundation, you do well in your classes, and that you enjoy the program (people who enjoy what they do tend to be a lot more successful than those just slogging through).

ok so if I put aside the graduate perspective, the best solutions would be to choose between Madison and Purdue then?

1. What classes should I take as a physics sophomore to prepare for a transfer into medical physics?

As a physics sophomore, it is important to take classes in calculus, mechanics, electromagnetism, and modern physics. It is also beneficial to take classes in biology and chemistry to gain a better understanding of the medical field.

2. Is it possible to transfer into a medical physics program as a sophomore?

Yes, it is possible to transfer into a medical physics program as a sophomore. However, it may be more challenging as most medical physics programs prefer students to have completed their undergraduate degree in physics or a related field.

3. What extracurricular activities can I participate in to enhance my chances of getting into a medical physics program?

Participating in research projects, volunteering at hospitals or clinics, and joining physics or medical-related clubs are all great ways to enhance your chances of getting into a medical physics program. These activities will demonstrate your interest and dedication to the field.

4. Are there any specific GPA requirements for transferring into a medical physics program?

Each program may have different GPA requirements, but typically a GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred. It is important to maintain a high GPA in your physics and science courses to show your academic ability and dedication to the field.

5. What should I do after graduation to prepare for a career in medical physics?

After graduation, you should consider applying for internships or research positions in medical physics. These experiences will provide hands-on training and valuable skills for your future career. It is also important to stay up-to-date on advancements and developments in the field by attending conferences and workshops.