1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Physics textbook with difficult exercises?

Tags:
  1. Oct 28, 2016 #1
    I am in search of physics textbooks which covers, basic kinematics, dynamics, rotational kinematics, rotational dynamics, gravitation and problems related to work and energy. I don't need theory. I prefer if the contains lots of exercise that are both difficult to solve as well as "concept testing". The book should contain answers even if it is not very detailed. Thanks for the help. :smile::smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2016 #2
    I will suggest Problems in general physics by I.E Irodov that is a wonderful book and contains very good problems related to topics you mentioned. It doesn't contain theory and is collection of about 1900 problems including the topics you mentioned another fun book to try is 200 puzzles in physics by Peter P Gnadig.

4. Oct 29, 2016 #3
    Does irodov's book contains problems related to basic mechanics ? because his book "Fundamentals of mechanics" is too difficult for me to understand.

5. Oct 29, 2016 #4
    Actually there is a PDF version easily available online for both the books I mentioned try them if you find them difficult then try concepts of physics by H.C Verma the problems especially objectives will clear all your misconceptions. It contains theory as well which is even more marvellous. And trust me you will not find Irodov difficult after reading this book. Can you also tell which standard you are in?

6. Oct 29, 2016 #5
    I have completed most of "Concepts of physics I". Irodov's book is not what i want, it has weird notations of simple things like cross-product, dot-product and, is certainly aimed for students having higher education than me.
    Anyway do you know any other book with problems ?
    If not then i have to consider Irodov's book. meh.

7. Oct 29, 2016 #6
    Shaums outlines series, in theoretical Mechanics, College Physics , etc, contain problems (many solve), and contain little if any theory.

8. Nov 2, 2016 #7
    Kleppner and Kolenkov has tough exercises on mechanics. No answers, though, even if I have read that they can be found on the Internet (but so far I have unsuccesful in finding them).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted