1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics To Medical Physics

1. Sep 4, 2013 #1
    Hi Every 1

I’m Holding a degree in Physics, and thinking to proceed for a Master Degree in Medical physics through Mcmaster University, Ontario Canada . My aim is to find a better job, and for sure a better income.
    Am trying to find any information about the Job Market, please help me with your advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2013 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The medical physics job market is currently quite competative for recent graduates, but still much better than academia. Of you're looking to go into radiation oncology physics, you're going to want to aim to go through an accredited graduate program (http://www.campep.org/campeplstgrad.asp), complete a PhD, go through an accredited residency, and then obtain board certification. MSc graduates are currently having a hard time competing for residencies although some of them still get in and there are initiatives underway to change this.

McMaster does not, to my knowlege, have an accredited medical physics graduate program This could have consequences if you're interested in obtaining certifcation for radiation oncology physics... particularly in the US, since the ABR will essentially require you to have gone through an accredited program and residency. By 2016 the CCPM will require either an accredited graduate program or an accredited residency.

On the other hand, I believe McMaster is not so narrowly focused on radiation oncology, but does a lot of very interesting work in health physics and trace metal detection.

4. Sep 4, 2013 #3
    Also, note that you can get an M.Sc in Physics (as I am doing now) but focus your research in Medical Physics. Also note, as mentioned by Choppy CAMPEP accreditation is becoming common practice and if you want a position as a "medical physicist" you will need your Ph.D. There is some talk about imaging physicists possibly not requiring CAMPEP accreditation (that is graduated from a CAMPEP accredited Ph.D program) in the future, but this is cooler talk (that is, people discussing stuff around a water cooler).

Also, I have not heard of any M.Sc graduates getting into residencies. I know that in some cases, a post doc is even preferred. This is due to over saturation in the field, and will hopefully stop soon!

This is simply based on my experience and may not be the case other places in Canada.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook