1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics with Application; Acoustics; Trumpet

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    From Acoustics, Resonance, Energy, Power, Intensity and The Doppler Effect
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An old-fashioned hearing trumpet has the shape of a flared funnel, with a diameter of 8 cm at its wide end and a diameter of 0.7 cm at its narrow end. Suppose that all of the sound energy that reaches the wide end is funneled into the narrow end. By what factor does this hearing trumpet increase the intensity of sound (measured in W/m2)? By how many decibels does it increase the intensity level of sound?

2. Relevant equations

Intensity = Power / Area

Intensity = Energy / (Time)*(Area)

Intensity Level = 10*Log(Intensity/10^(-12)) (db)

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!
    We have a policy of ignoring questions where there is no attempt made on the problem. But I can make an exception since it is your first post, and offer a suggestion to get you started.

Start by finding the areas, at the input end and at the output to ear end. Put them into your formulas.

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    ... Thanks for the insightful reply. I understand it's not the most difficult question, nonetheless I am getting stuck.

10^((deltaIntensityLevel)/10-12)=Power/DeltaCircleArea

5. Jan 25, 2012 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I don't understand that at all.
    Were you able to find the two areas?
    Maybe use intensity = power/area twice, once for each end.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook