Calculating the power output from a persons mouth

In summary: You can then compute the power in the 0.451 square meters that you have been given.In summary, the total power output from the person can be calculated by finding the intensity of the sound using the formula dB=10 log (I/Io), and then substituting it into the equation I=P/A to solve for the power. This can be done by referencing the sound power information given in the Wikipedia article, which provides a conversion for sound energy flux at different decibel levels.
Aleisha

Homework Statement

Speech at a distance of 45.1 cm has a sound level of 59.3 dB. Assuming that the energy in the sound spreads out equally in all directions from the person's mouth, calculate the total power output from the person.

Given:
Distance= 0.451m
Sound level 59.3 dB
P=? J

Homework Equations

I=P/A
A=4 x Pi x r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

A= 4 x Pi x 0.451^2
= 2.5560 m^2

I tried to find I (Intensity) by rearranging the; dB=10 log (I/Io) but isn't possible... So I'm a little stuck as to how to calculate the Intensity so I can substitute into the I=P/A equation. I know somehow I must use the given decibels at some point but I've been looking for an equation but can't find it.

Much appreciate if someone could help, thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
One reference that I googled up is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_power.

The relevant information is given in this passage:

For example, a sound at SPL = 85 dB or p = 0.356 Pa in air (ρ = 1.2 kg·m−3 and c = 343 m·s−1) through a surface of area A = 1 m2 normal to the direction of propagation (θ = 0 °) has a sound energy flux P = 0.3 mW

I would ignore the table at the top of that article. It does not have the appropriate units for your application -- it is reporting a distance-independent quantity.

Am i assuming that the particles are moving at a velocity of v=343m/s?

Aleisha said:
Am i assuming that the particles are moving at a velocity of v=343m/s?
I do not see how particle velocity comes into it. If you have a power flux for 85db in milliwatts per square meter, that gives you enough information to compute a power flux for 59.3 db in milliwatts per square meter.

1. How do you calculate the power output from a person's mouth?

The power output from a person's mouth can be calculated by multiplying the volume of air exhaled per second by the pressure of the exhaled air.

2. What is the unit of measurement for power output from a person's mouth?

The unit of measurement for power output from a person's mouth is watts (W).

3. How does the power output from a person's mouth vary between individuals?

The power output from a person's mouth can vary greatly between individuals, depending on factors such as lung capacity, age, and overall health.

4. Can the power output from a person's mouth be increased?

Yes, the power output from a person's mouth can be increased through exercises such as deep breathing and singing, as well as improving overall lung and respiratory health.

5. How is the power output from a person's mouth used in research or practical applications?

The power output from a person's mouth can be used in research to study respiratory health and function, as well as in practical applications such as measuring the effectiveness of breathing exercises or determining the impact of certain environmental factors on lung function.