Physics with calculus. Prior to Calculus

In summary: Have you talked to the professor / instructor about this?Yes, I have spoken to the instructor about this. They said that I should be able to understand the physics without needing to know all of the calculus. However, they also said that if I need to use the calculus later on, I should be able to do so.
Kendal
This is my first year in college, and I am currently taking calculus 1, and physics w/ calculus.
My academic adviser told me that I would be okay taking the two together since I'd be learning the calculus as i went. This doesn't seem to be the case because for a lot of my problems we are already using derivatives and integrals. Is there a way I'll be able to use all of the Kinematic formulas (1D and 2D) without knowing much calculus? Should I continue trying to do work on physics with my little calculus knowledge or should I really invest my time in figuring out calculus first.
TL;DR: Can I get by in physics w/ calculus without knowing most calculus, or should I learn the basics of calc first and drop the physics class for now?

Physics news on Phys.org
You certainly need to understand the basics of calculus. You can understand a lot of physics while skipping the details of the specific calculus calculations. Eventually you will have to understand how to calculate derivatives and integrals to be able to derive several physics equations. But you can understand most of them without necessarily deriving them.

FactChecker said:
You certainly need to understand the basics of calculus. You can understand a lot of physics while skipping the details of the specific calculus calculations. Eventually you will have to understand how to calculate derivatives and integrals to be able to derive several physics equations. But you can understand most of them without necessarily deriving them.
so would it be smart to drop physics? or is it possible for me to still get at least a B in there?

Kendal said:
so would it be smart to drop physics? or is it possible for me to still get at least a B in there?

If you are already supposed to be using integration and differentiation to solve problems, then it would probably be in your best interest to drop the class. However, if the calculus is just in the lecture and you can use algebra to solve the problems, you might be okay.

Likes CalcNerd, FactChecker and Student100
How many of the other students in your physics class are in the same situation as you?

Likes symbolipoint
gmax137 said:
How many of the other students in your physics class are in the same situation as you?
maybe 2-3

Hmm that's not so good. I learned a lot (a lot!) of math in my physics classes, but we were all in the same boat so the profs had to take the time to teach us the math as we went along. If that isn't happening in your class you may be at a real disadvantage. On the other hand, if it's simple stuff you might be able to pick up what you need with a little extra effort and help.

Likes FactChecker
Have you talked to the professor / instructor about this?

Likes gmax137

1. What is the difference between physics with calculus and physics without calculus?

Physics with calculus involves using mathematical concepts and tools, such as derivatives and integrals, to analyze and solve problems in physics. Prior to calculus, physics relies solely on algebraic equations and basic mathematical operations.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of calculus to study and excel in physics?

While it is not necessary to have a complete mastery of calculus, a strong foundation in the subject is crucial for understanding the more complex concepts and equations in physics. A thorough understanding of calculus allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of physics.

3. Can physics with calculus be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, physics with calculus is used extensively in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and mechanics to analyze and solve real-world problems. This approach allows for a more accurate and precise understanding of physical phenomena and their applications.

4. How does calculus help in understanding motion and forces in physics?

Calculus plays a crucial role in describing and analyzing motion and forces in physics. Derivatives and integrals are used to calculate velocity, acceleration, and force, which are essential in understanding the behavior of objects in motion.

5. Are there any prerequisites for studying physics with calculus?

A strong foundation in mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and trigonometry, is necessary before diving into physics with calculus. A basic understanding of calculus concepts, such as derivatives and integrals, is also helpful in grasping more advanced physics topics.