Ready for Calculus-based Physics?

• Courses
  • Thread starter ScienceMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is considering taking calculus-based physics in the spring, but is unsure if they are ready for it. The prerequisites for the first course (mechanics) are Calculus 1 and co-requisite of Calculus 2. The second course (electricity/magnetism) requires Calculus 2 as a prerequisite. The speaker recently took Calculus 1 and got a high A, and plans to take Calculus 2 in the spring. They also took AP Physics B in high school, but received credit for the algebra-based version. The speaker is not worried about their calculus background, but is hesitant due to being rusty in physics after not taking it for almost a decade. However, it is likely that
ScienceMan
I'm considering taking calculus based physics in the spring. The first course (mechanics) has a prerequisite of Calculus 1 and a co-requisite of Calculus 2. The 2nd course (electricity/magnetism) has Calculus 2 as a prerequisite. I just took Calculus 1 this semester and got a high A and I plan to take Calculus 2 in the spring.

Do you think I'm ready for the calculus based version of physics? I took AP Physics B almost a decade ago in high school so the college awarded me credit for algebra based. My college doesn't require algebra based to get into calculus based, just the math. I'm really rusty on physics because it's been so long. I'm really not worried about my calculus background since I just aced my Calc 1. It's my physics background that's giving me hesitation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming it's some Physics I type course (the first "general physics" course for physics majors), it likely won't assume any prior physics knowledge. It sounds like you're right on track.

1. What is calculus-based physics?

Calculus-based physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical concepts and techniques from calculus to describe and analyze physical phenomena. It is typically more advanced and rigorous than algebra-based physics, which primarily uses basic algebra and trigonometry.

2. Why is calculus important in physics?

Calculus is important in physics because it allows us to describe and analyze continuous changes and motion, which are often encountered in the real world. It also provides a powerful tool for solving complex problems and making accurate predictions in physics.

3. What are the prerequisites for studying calculus-based physics?

The main prerequisite for studying calculus-based physics is a solid understanding of calculus. This includes concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and differential equations. It is also helpful to have a good foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and basic physics concepts.

4. How is calculus used in different areas of physics?

Calculus is used in a wide range of areas in physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Some specific applications of calculus in physics include calculating velocity and acceleration, finding work and energy, and solving differential equations in quantum mechanics.

5. Is calculus-based physics more difficult than algebra-based physics?

It depends on the individual and their level of understanding of calculus. Some may find calculus-based physics more challenging due to the use of more advanced mathematical concepts, while others may find it easier because it provides a more thorough and precise understanding of physical phenomena. Ultimately, both branches of physics require dedication and hard work to master.