Picking an appropriate distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses a model for studying the probability of a cell acquiring four independent mutations and transforming into a cancer cell. The model uses the binomial distribution and involves calculating the probability of a cell acquiring k mutations after n timesteps. The question is whether the model can be simplified by assuming a Poisson distribution and accounting for variations in p (the probability of a cell acquiring a mutation). N refers to the number of cells in the biological system.
aaaa202
I am studying a biological system comprised of roughly 10000 cells. My model studies the probability that a cell accumulates four independent mutations and thus transform into a vicious cancer cell.
Starting from basic theory of the binomial distribution it is easy to write an expression for the probability that a particular cell acquires k mutations after n timesteps. Calling the probability that an arbitrary cell acquires a mutation for p we have for a single cell:
pcell = p/N
And thus:

p(k mutations on n tries) = K(n,k) * (p/N)^k * (1-p)^(n-k)

And summing all these up should give us the total probability that one cell has acquires k mutations. Now multiplying by N wouldn't actually work since p is actually specific to each cell (I assumed it to be the same for simplicity).

Now my question is: This expression becomes quite nasty when we add the fact that p differs from cell to cell. Is it possibly to make some estimations to make the expression more easy to work with. As N is pretty big (we could make it a lot bigger) would it be possible to model the distribution as a poisson distribution? And would that then make cell dependence of p easier to work with, or could we at least then find a straightforward expression for the deviation from the mean amount of mutations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you explain your model a little more clearly? First what exactly is N and "a mutation for p"?

1. What is the purpose of choosing an appropriate distribution?

Choosing an appropriate distribution helps us accurately model and analyze data, making it easier to draw conclusions and make predictions.

2. How do I know which distribution to choose?

The choice of distribution depends on the type of data you have and the underlying characteristics of the data, such as its shape and variability.

3. What are some common distributions used in statistics?

Some common distributions used in statistics include the normal distribution, binomial distribution, Poisson distribution, and exponential distribution.

4. Can I use the same distribution for all types of data?

No, different types of data require different distributions. For example, continuous data is often modeled using the normal distribution, while discrete data may be better modeled using the binomial or Poisson distribution.

5. How do I assess if the chosen distribution is a good fit for my data?

There are various statistical tests and visualizations that can help assess the fit of a chosen distribution to your data. These include the chi-squared test, Kolmogorov-Smirnov test, and probability plots.