Expression of Shot noise when expanding ##a_{\ell m}## coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression for the quantity ##o_{\ell}##, which is equal to the total signal ##C_{\ell}##. The expression includes the terms ##b_{s p}^2 C_{\ell}^{D M}## and ##B_{s p}##, where ##b_{s p}## is a factor and ##C_{\ell}^{D M}## is the signal from Dark Matter. The term ##B_{s p}## represents Poisson noise, which is equal to ##\frac{1}{\bar{n}}##, where ##\bar{n}## is the average number of galaxies observed. The conversation also discusses the term ##<
fab13
TL;DR Summary
I would like to prove that Shot noise follows a Poisson distribution.
I would like to arrive at the following expression for the quantity ##o_{\ell}## ( with "DM" for Dark Matter ):

##o_{\ell}=b_{s p}^2 C_{\ell}^{D M}+B_{s p}##

with Poisson noise ##B_{s p}=\frac{1}{\bar{n}}(\bar{n}## being the average number of galaxies observed). the index "sp" is for spectro. I think for now that ##B_{s p}## is the variance of a Poisson noise but see the following below to really confirm: To arrive at this same expression, I would like to start from ##{ }_{\ell m}^{a D M}## (DM for Dark matter) and ##a_{\ell m}^P## (" ##\mathrm{P}## " for fish).
So I start from the fact that ##C_{\ell}=\operatorname{Var}\left(a_{\ell m}\right)## :

##o_{\ell}=<\left(b_{s p} a_{\ell m}^{D M}+a_{\ell m}^P\right)^2>##

If we expand, we have: ##o_{\ell}=<b_{s p}^2\left(a_{\ell m}^{D M}\right)^2+2 b_{s p} a_{\ell m}^{D M}+\left(a_{\ell m}^P\right)^2>##

##o_{\ell}=b_{s p}^2 C_{\ell}^{D M}+2 b_{s p}<a_{\ell m}^{D M}><a_{\ell m}^P>+<\left(a_{\ell m}^P\right)^2>##

##=b_{s p}^2 C_{\ell}^{D M}+<\left(a_{\ell m}^P\right)^2>##

because we have ##<a_{\ell_m}^{D M}>=0##

The problem comes from the term ##<\left(a_{\ell m}^P\right)^2>## : I don't know how to justify that this term is equal to ##\frac{1}{\bar{n}}##

Indeed, if ##B_{s p}## is a fish noise, we should have, to make the correspondence, ##B_{s p}=<\left(a_{\ell m}^P\right)^2>-<## ##a_{\ell m}^P>2## which is different from: ##B_{s p}=<\left(a_{\ell m}^P\right)^2>=\operatorname{Var}\left(a_{\ell m}^P\right)##.

How to obtain the quantity ##B_{s p}## which seems a priori equal to ##\frac{1}{\bar{n}}## ?

If ##B_{s p}## is equal to ##<\left(a_{\ell m}^P\right)^2>##, how to make the link with a variance since a Poisson law is not centered ( I mean ##<a_{\ell m}^P>\neq 0## ?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
There is a typo showed in attachment : the factor "2" is acutally an exponent in ##<a_{\ell m}^P>^2##.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-12-27 à 09.05.43.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-12-27 à 09.05.43.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 54
Also (sorry), the initial quantity at the beginning ( ##o_{\ell}##) is simply the total signal ##C_\ell## :

##o_{\ell}=b_{s p}^2 C_{\ell}^{D M}+B_{s p}##

is equal to :

##C_{\ell}=b_{s p}^2 C_{\ell}^{D M}+B_{s p}##

What is "Expression of Shot noise when expanding ##a_{\ell m}## coefficients"?

The "Expression of Shot noise when expanding ##a_{\ell m}## coefficients" refers to a mathematical formula that describes the amount of noise or uncertainty in the measurement of a physical quantity, such as the power spectrum of the cosmic microwave background radiation, when using a particular set of coefficients (known as ##a_{\ell m}## coefficients) to model the data.

Why is the expression of shot noise important in scientific research?

The expression of shot noise is important because it allows scientists to quantify the amount of uncertainty in their measurements. This is crucial in fields such as cosmology and astrophysics, where precise measurements are needed to test theories and make predictions about the universe.

How is shot noise related to the expansion of ##a_{\ell m}## coefficients?

The expansion of ##a_{\ell m}## coefficients is used to model the data in many scientific experiments, and the expression of shot noise takes into account the limitations and uncertainties of this model. In other words, the shot noise is a measure of how well the expansion of ##a_{\ell m}## coefficients represents the actual data.

What factors can affect the shot noise in the expansion of ##a_{\ell m}## coefficients?

There are several factors that can affect the shot noise in the expansion of ##a_{\ell m}## coefficients, including the quality and quantity of data, the complexity of the model being used, and any systematic errors or biases in the measurement process.

Can the expression of shot noise be reduced or eliminated?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate shot noise, scientists can reduce its impact by improving the quality and quantity of data, using more precise measurement techniques, and carefully considering and accounting for any potential sources of error or bias in their models and measurements.