Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pictures of people with these 'genes'?

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1

tgt

I am curious as to how people who are 1/2 white, 1/4 black and 1/4 Asian look like.

A typical senario is where one parent is white/asian and the other is white/black.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Uhm, they don't look alike.

4. Jan 6, 2009 #3
    There is a rather broad spectrum of physical characteristics among each of these racial groups. It would be difficult to determine which characteristics are likely to be passed on. I know a girl who is a quarter black and looks hispanic while her brother by the same parents appears a light skinned black man. So even pooling genes from the same two individual sources can have unpredictable outcomes.

5. Jan 6, 2009 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know girls are lucky.

If I get my baby DNA tested and it turns out I'm not the father, (let's say she really cheated) she can blame the hospital for mixing it up. Gets away with cheating now!!!

Note: Cheating as in saying I'm the father and I'm not.

6. Jan 6, 2009 #5
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090103/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_twins

fyi, keanu reeves is half white, a quarter chinese and a quarter Hawaiian.

7. Jan 6, 2009 #6
    Not far from where I live there used to be a large community of people who were 1/2 white, 1/4 black and 1/4 Asian. However, early in the 20th century they were gradually replaced by a population of 1/2 Asian, 1/4 white, 1/8 American Indian, and 1/8 black. During the transition, racial tensions not only tore apart the community, but even individual people were at odds with themselves over issues related to discrimination and assimilation. I went over there to see what the people look like now. I bumped into an elderly fellow that looked to me to be .43 Scandinavian, .36 Bantu, and .21 Innuit. He told me that his father had lived through those terrible days and related to him that in spite of their backgrounds, the original population looked 1/2 black, 1/4 white, and 1/4 Asian. I hope this helps.

8. Jan 6, 2009 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:confused: where do you live?

Is it true that the skin-color of the mother is dominant over the skin-color of the father? It's something I've been told, but I'm not sure whether it is true (although it is possible).

9. Jan 7, 2009 #8

tgt

Unfortunately, that doesn't help at all because no pictures were given.

Can you still remember the faces of the people who were 1/2 white, 1/4 black and 1/4 Asian.

10. Jan 7, 2009 #9

Pythagorean

Gold Member

sounds like too much pick up, not enough artist.

11. Jan 7, 2009 #10
    what about sam woods? (tiger's daughter)

12. Jan 7, 2009 #11
    what's your definition of "black"? i think most "african americans" are actually mixed race to begin with.

13. Jan 7, 2009 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You were supposed to say "Pull the other one, Jimmy!"

14. Jan 7, 2009 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm curious about why you are so curious about it!

15. Jan 8, 2009 #14

tgt

One reason is that I've got a little hunch that they would look like a (whiter then usual) person from India. However, it wouldn't be very exact.

How did the Indian population come about?

16. Jan 8, 2009 #15

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

17. Jan 8, 2009 #16

tgt

18. Jan 8, 2009 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is ridiculous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?