Piecewise knowledge of mathematics.

In summary, the college freshman thinks that school taught him the wrong level of mathematics, and that he wants to become a physicist. He knows some of the basics of calculus, algebra, and trigonometry, but wants a book that covers all of the necessary subjects of mathematics. He thinks that if he studies all of the mathematics on khanacademy.org and supplement himself with an engineering book, he will be able to move on to other subjects. He would like a book that is written in a form of "identity" or "this equals to this." He thinks that if he finishes all of the mathematics on Khanacademy.org and the engineering book, he will be able to move on to other subjects. He
cavemen
Hello.

I am a college freshman.
All the sudden I understood that school taught me fragments of mathematics, not the whole thing. Different low-grade teachers that would teach us to solve a lot of simple problems fast for tests like SAT instead of learning mathematics.

I want to become a physicist.

There is a problem.
I know fragments of calculus, algebra and trigonometry. As I read into calculus textbook I understood that.

I want you to suggest me a good textbook that would cover all the necessary subjects of mathematics from Algebra to Calculus. (not useless stuff like solving quadratic equations by so-called factoring)

Also the separation onto Algebra I, ALgebra II,Trigonometry,and calculus exists only for educators, but I am certain that it CONTRIBUTED to the problem of fragmental knowledge of mathematics. I come to a new level and I am tought stuff but when we reach the end, we run out of time. Then I go to a higher level of mathematics an I am missing some basic knowledge. And so on it went,'till I got all my credits and realized that high school is a big waste of time.

Since I am not the greatest mathematitian I would like to have a textbook where everything is written in a form of 'identity' or " this equates to this " form.

This is the way I noticed that I learn well.

I simply don't know where to begin with.
If you are an educator, please take note of what I am saying as this may be a problem with some of your students.

Thank you.
Have a great day.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
www.khanacademy.org

If you study all of the mathematics up through calculus on this site, and supplement yourself with an engineering book like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/0750685557/?tag=pfamazon01-20 to practice doing questions & problem solving etc... then in about a month or so (hopefully quicker!) you'll be able to start studying a good physics book like University Physics https://www.amazon.com/dp/080538684X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 , this physics book is simply the best and clearest intro there is (IMO).

I really mean it when I say do ALL of the math on that site, khanacademy, & definitely get at least the engineering book because it covers all of the basic math & calculus needed for University Physics. Furthermore, I advise getting Schaums 3000 solved problems after you finish a good few chapters of University Physics to have another source for testing yourself. Btw, to have khanacademy.org available to you is very lucky for you, the guy will explain things so well that you'll feel confident enough in your math after going through ALL of the videos, but get another book to test yourself!

When you're up to at least the calculus stuff on both Khanacademy & in the engineering book I really advise you to get a good calculus book too, at least Stewart Calculus or Thomas Calculus.

Then if you finish all this stuff you'll be able to move on to other stuff, but it takes time & continual failure/re-starts lol

Last edited by a moderator:
cavemen said:
(not useless stuff like solving quadratic equations by so-called factoring)
Can you then tell me what is useful maths?

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~wchen/ln.html"

Too me, it sounds like you crave a book in real analysis. I gone through the same thing after I completed Calculus. Try
Real Analysis-Haasar, Sullivan or
Introductory Real Analysis-Kolmogorov or
Principals of Mathematical Analysis-Rudin

Thank you.
I think i found something, but let me look up the name of the author.

------------------------------
there are a lot of useless parts of math that they teach in school to fill up the cariculum
especially algebraII course.

If you want an excellent textbook I would highly recommend https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471198269/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Preferably purchase it as it will have all the basic and advance maths you need to know to become a physicist. Alternatively, hire it from your nearest university library.

The guy saids he knows fragments of trigonometry & calculus, how can you expect him to cope with real analysis? Or Mary Boas book? I mean, you can't get into any of the substance of Boas' book without the calculus, end of! (unfortunately know this from experience).

I bet you'll waste a load of time before you come back and clear up your trigonometry skills, let alone calculus skills. It is a guarantee that you'll only have to stop your studies of physics to go back over the essentials, again and again if you don't do it properly.

EDIT: You must be joking claiming algebra II is a waste of time.

Good luck with that arrogance, I didn't know I wasted my time with "filler" material like logs, exponents, factoring quadratics & cubics, it's not like these things ever come up when doing physics, they are not on nearly every page or anything...

I hope you update us on your progress through physics & calculus seeing as you don't appreciate/know how to factor a quadratic. I mean, yahoo answers can only give the right answers so many times...

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/Alg/Alg.aspx

That is a self consistent pdf of all of the basic algebra you'll need to actually do some physics, if you a) don't know all this stuff cold, & b) get some supplementary material so that you can do practice problems, I won't feel sorry for you when you get so frustrated that you feel like quitting the study of physics due to math related injuries...

Last edited:

1. What is piecewise knowledge of mathematics?

Piecewise knowledge of mathematics is the understanding of mathematical concepts and theories that are broken down into smaller, more manageable pieces. This approach allows for a better comprehension of complex mathematical ideas.

2. How is piecewise knowledge of mathematics different from traditional learning?

Piecewise knowledge of mathematics differs from traditional learning in that it focuses on breaking down complex concepts into smaller parts, rather than learning them as a whole. This allows for a deeper understanding and easier retention of the material.

3. What are the benefits of using piecewise knowledge in mathematics?

Some benefits of using piecewise knowledge in mathematics include a better understanding of complex concepts, improved problem-solving skills, and increased retention of material. It also allows for a more personalized learning experience, as students can focus on specific areas where they may need more practice.

4. How can piecewise knowledge be applied in real-life situations?

Piecewise knowledge can be applied in real-life situations in various ways, such as breaking down a complex budget into smaller, more manageable parts, or solving a real-world problem using mathematical equations and concepts broken down into smaller steps.

5. Is piecewise knowledge of mathematics suitable for all levels of learners?

Yes, piecewise knowledge of mathematics can be beneficial for learners of all levels, from beginners to advanced students. It can be particularly helpful for those who struggle with traditional learning methods or have difficulty understanding complex mathematical concepts.