Pion decay and neutrino oscillation in OPERA

In summary, the CERN end of the experiment generates pions which decay into muons and electron neutrinos. According to that NOVA episode, electron neutrinos eventually oscillate into other neutrino flavors. If they’re traveling at the speed of light, they wouldn’t have time to oscillate. This discovery required a change to the standard model so that neutrinos have mass and do not travel at the speed of light. The Gran Sasso detector can distinguish between neutrino flavors, but working logically backwards, I assume that would help in determining the speed of the neutrinos.
thenewmans
I hope you don’t mind me asking this OPERA question here but I think it’s more of a QM question. I just watched NOVA Ghost Particle and it got me thinking. The only problem is that my brain isn’t strong enough to hold all that I’m reading about this experiment.

From what I gather, the CERN end of the experiment generates pions which decay into muons and electron neutrinos. According to that NOVA episode, electron neutrinos eventually oscillate into other neutrino flavors. If they’re traveling at the speed of light, they wouldn’t have time to oscillate. This discovery required a change to the standard model so that neutrinos have mass and do not travel at the speed of light. I don’t know if the Gran Sasso detector can distinguish between neutrino flavors. But working logically backwards, I assume that would help in determining the speed of the neutrinos. Does that make sense?

Here’s another thing. If the neutrinos travel at or above the speed of light, I assume they must have been going that fast back when they were created from the pions. So either the pions were going that fast or the decay must have given the neutrinos a little speed boost. And that boost must have been in the direction of travel. I would expect a lot of the neutrinos to get boosted in different directions. That would cause a lot of them to miss the target. And in that case, I would expect the detector to pick up far fewer neutrinos than predicted. Does any of this make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to clear things up, the beam generated by the SPS at CERN consists of muon neutrinos. The OPERA detector is built specifically to observe oscillations to tau neutrinos.

Bill_K said:
Just to clear things up, the beam generated by the SPS at CERN consists of muon neutrinos. The OPERA detector is built specifically to observe oscillations to tau neutrinos.

Oh cool. So then you know they must be oscillating. I wonder if they know how much.

1. What is Pion decay?

Pions are subatomic particles made up of a quark and an antiquark. They are unstable and decay into other particles after a short period of time. Pion decay is the process by which a pion particle breaks down into other particles, such as a muon and a neutrino.

2. What is neutrino oscillation?

Neutrino oscillation is the phenomenon where neutrinos change from one type to another as they travel through space. This is possible because neutrinos have mass, contrary to previous belief that they were massless. The process of oscillation is influenced by the distance the neutrinos travel, their energy, and their flavor.

3. What is the OPERA experiment?

The OPERA (Oscillation Project with Emulsion-tRacking Apparatus) experiment is a particle physics experiment located at the Gran Sasso National Laboratory in Italy. Its main goal is to study the properties of neutrinos, including their oscillation behavior. It uses a detector composed of nuclear emulsion films and electronic detectors to capture and analyze neutrino interactions.

4. What is the significance of the results from OPERA's study of pion decay and neutrino oscillation?

The results from OPERA's study provide important insights into the behavior of neutrinos and their oscillation. By studying pion decays and neutrino oscillation, scientists can better understand the properties of neutrinos, which can have implications for our understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws.

5. What are the potential applications of the findings from OPERA's research?

The findings from OPERA's research can have potential applications in various fields, such as astrophysics, cosmology, and particle physics. Understanding the behavior of neutrinos can also have practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies and medical treatments. Additionally, the results can contribute to our overall understanding of the building blocks of matter and the origins of the universe.