Planck's law for longer wavelengths

In summary, expanding Plank's Law as a Taylor Polynomial with two terms, T2(x), results in proving its approximate equality to Rayleigh-Jeans Law at long wavelengths of light. This is because the Rayleigh-Jeans law was constructed to be valid only for long wavelengths, while Planck's law is valid for all wavelengths. The accuracy of the Taylor expansion is dependent on the value of x, which corresponds to the wavelength or frequency. By expanding Plank's law in terms of x, it becomes more accurate for longer wavelengths, resulting in its approximate equality to Rayleigh-Jeans law.
kevinnn
I was just working on a problem that asked me to show that Plank's Law for black body radiation is approximately equal to Rayleigh-Jeans Law, which expresses the energy density of black body radiation as a function of wavelength. I was to show that this relation is only true at high wavelengths of light. To solve the problem, I expressed e in Plank's Law as a Taylor Polynomial with two terms, T2(x). Doing this resulted in me achieving the same expression as the Rayleigh-Jenes Law. My question is, why does what appears to be just making Plank's Law less accurate (expanding e as a Taylor Series) result in me proving the expressions are approximately equal at LONGER WAVELENGTHS?? Or in other words, why does making Plank's Law less accurate result in it being true for longer wavelengths? Thanks for any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Rayleigh-Jeans law was discovered first, before Planck's law. It is only valid for long wavelengths. It is constructed to be so. The Rayleigh-Jeans law does not work for short wavelengths (running into the so-called Ultra-violet catastrophe).

Planck's law is true over all wavelengths. It's just that it roughly matches Rayleigh-Jeans law at long wavelengths because Planck's law is valid for long wavelengths just like the Rayleigh-Jeans law was constructed to be.

You said you Taylor expanded Planck's law in terms of x. Think carefully about what is x. A Taylor expansion is only accurate for small values of x. How does that relate to wavelength or frequency? There is more than one Taylor expansion possible.

1. What is Planck's law for longer wavelengths?

Planck's law for longer wavelengths is a physical law that describes the distribution of energy emitted by a blackbody at different wavelengths. It states that the amount of energy emitted at a specific wavelength is directly proportional to the temperature of the blackbody and inversely proportional to the wavelength.

2. How does Planck's law for longer wavelengths differ from the law for shorter wavelengths?

Planck's law for longer wavelengths differs from the law for shorter wavelengths in that it accounts for the decrease in energy emitted as the wavelength increases. This is due to the fact that longer wavelengths have lower energy photons compared to shorter wavelengths.

3. What is the significance of Planck's law for longer wavelengths in physics?

Planck's law for longer wavelengths is significant in physics because it helps explain the distribution of energy emitted by objects at different temperatures. It also provides a basis for understanding the behavior of blackbodies and their relationship with temperature and wavelength.

4. How is Planck's law for longer wavelengths used in practical applications?

Planck's law for longer wavelengths is used in practical applications such as infrared spectroscopy and thermal imaging. It is also utilized in the design of solar panels and other energy conversion technologies.

5. Are there any limitations to Planck's law for longer wavelengths?

One limitation of Planck's law for longer wavelengths is that it assumes a perfect blackbody, which is an idealized object that does not exist in reality. It also does not take into account other factors such as absorption and scattering of light, which can affect the emitted energy at longer wavelengths.