Plane monochromatic wave is not physically realizable?

• Thread starter pjbeierle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane Wave
In summary, the author is discussing the limitations of using a plane wave to represent a physical state of a particle. A plane wave, such as Ae^i(kx-wt), is not square integrable and therefore cannot accurately represent a physical state. Instead, a superposition of plane waves can be used. The author also mentions that a perfectly pure monochromatic plane wave is not physically realizable as it would have to extend to infinity in all directions. This is important to consider when using plane waves in quantum mechanics.
pjbeierle
I am currently reading Cohen-Tannoudji's Quantum Mechanics. In the book on page 23 there is a comment that states;
"A plane wave of type Ae^i(kx-wt) , whose modulus is constant throughout all space [cf. |ψ|^2=|A|^2], is not square integrable. Therefore, rigorously,it cannot represent a physical state of the particle (in the same way as, in optics, a plane monochromatic wave is not physically realizable). On the other hand, a superposition of plane waves can be square integrable."​

My understanding of what the author is trying to get across is that a wave such as
A*cos(kx-wt) where A=1 integrating from -∞ to ∞ is not finite, fine. but I DON'T understand the optics comment that "a plane monochromatic wave is not physically realizable". I have not taken very much optics or electromagnetic theory, so I have not come across this phenomena. Can someone please explain this to me, or foward me to some reference that will describe trying to physically realize a monochromatic plane wave? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A perfectly pure monochromatic plane wave must extend to infinity in all directions. How does one physically realize such a wave?

If it does not extend to infinity in all directions, then it can be represented (via Fourier analysis) as a superposition of waves with different frequencies, and is therefore not monochromatic.

I'm not sure what importance the distinction really has. Is any square integrable wave function physically realizable? I'm pretty sure that no one here can name a wave function that is physically realizable, so just what that term is actually intended to imply is not so clear.

1. What is a plane monochromatic wave?

A plane monochromatic wave is a type of electromagnetic wave that has a single frequency (monochromatic) and travels in a straight line (plane).

2. Why is a plane monochromatic wave not physically realizable?

A plane monochromatic wave is a theoretical concept and cannot be physically realized because it requires an infinite source of energy and perfect conditions, which are not possible in the real world.

3. Can any approximation of a plane monochromatic wave be achieved?

Yes, some waves can be approximated as plane monochromatic waves in certain conditions. For example, a laser beam can be considered a plane monochromatic wave in a small area, but it will eventually diverge due to diffraction and will no longer be perfectly monochromatic.

4. Are there any practical applications of plane monochromatic waves?

Although not physically realizable, plane monochromatic waves are still useful in theoretical studies and are used as a simplified model in many applications, such as in optics and telecommunications.

5. How do plane monochromatic waves differ from other types of waves?

Plane monochromatic waves have a constant frequency and a uniform amplitude throughout their propagation, whereas other types of waves, such as non-monochromatic waves or waves in real-world conditions, may have varying frequencies and amplitudes.