Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane monochromatic wave is not physically realizable?

1. Jan 22, 2012 #1
    I am currently reading Cohen-Tannoudji's Quantum Mechanics. In the book on page 23 there is a comment that states;
    "A plane wave of type Ae^i(kx-wt) , whose modulus is constant throughout all space [cf. |ψ|^2=|A|^2], is not square integrable. Therefore, rigorously,it cannot represent a physical state of the particle (in the same way as, in optics, a plane monochromatic wave is not physically realizable). On the other hand, a superposition of plane waves can be square integrable."​

My understanding of what the author is trying to get across is that a wave such as
    A*cos(kx-wt) where A=1 integrating from -∞ to ∞ is not finite, fine. but I DON'T understand the optics comment that "a plane monochromatic wave is not physically realizable". I have not taken very much optics or electromagnetic theory, so I have not come across this phenomena. Can someone please explain this to me, or foward me to some reference that will describe trying to physically realize a monochromatic plane wave? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2012 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

A perfectly pure monochromatic plane wave must extend to infinity in all directions. How does one physically realize such a wave?

If it does not extend to infinity in all directions, then it can be represented (via Fourier analysis) as a superposition of waves with different frequencies, and is therefore not monochromatic.

4. Jan 22, 2012 #3

Ken G

Gold Member

I'm not sure what importance the distinction really has. Is any square integrable wave function physically realizable? I'm pretty sure that no one here can name a wave function that is physically realizable, so just what that term is actually intended to imply is not so clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook