Is energy contained in matter wave equals hv like EM waves?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Jaden159
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
h is plank constant and v is frequency.
I was using this to derive the TDSE. But I ran into problem because to substitute k^2 in E=h^2/8mpi^2 * k^2, I can use single derivative of psi squared or double derivative, both of which tend to give the correct answer. So, is my assumption of energy wrong?

PS
I am using psi = e^i(kx-wt) as my wave function. Single derivative squared or double derivative both have k^2.
Substituting this gives two different equations.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jaden159 said:
I was using this to derive the TDSE.

Starting with what assumptions? Just saying "h is Planck's constant and v is frequency" isn't enough by itself.
 
Single derivative squared is not linear, whereas linearity is probably an assumption you want (though as PeterDonis said, you haven't stated what assumptions you want to start with fully).