1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane Wave propogation dependent on space and timez

1. Aug 21, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I've been looking at some animations of plane waves, and I really cannot see why a plane wave's electric field is dependent on both t and z. Isn't z a function of t? I would've thought that z could be written in terms of t. Can it? Is there no link between z and t?

$$
    \mathbf{E}(x,y,z;t) = \mathbf{E}_o e^{\jmath(\omega t - kz)}
    $$

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2013 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Pick a particular value of t and plug it in, and you'll have an equation in which z is the only variable; that is, you can use it to find out what the value of E will be at any point in space at that particular time.

Conversely, pick a value of z and and plug it in, and you'll have an equation in which t is the only variable; that is, you can use it to find out what the value of E will be at that point in space at any time.

Leave both z and t as independent variables and you have an equation which tells you what the value of E is at any time (pick your t value) and any place (pick your z value).

4. Aug 24, 2013 #3
    Hi,
    In a plane wave, E is not plane, but the surface where all the points of the field are in phase is a plane. In the equation, if you pick a value of t, the phase is the same for a given value of z whatever x and y are : a plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook