1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane Wave Propogation (help understanding steps in book)

1. Dec 3, 2006 #1
    Plane Wave Propagation (help understanding steps in book)

Basically this problem requires that [itex] \vec H [/itex] vanishes at [itex] t = 3ms [/itex]. I don't understand how they did the last step, here is the solution:

[tex] \vec H = \hat z 4 \times 10^{-6} \cos \left(10^7 \pi t - k_0 y +\frac{\pi}{4} \right) [/tex]

[tex] k_0 = \omega \sqrt{\mu_0 \epsilon_0} = \frac{10^7 \pi}{3 \times 10^8} = 0.105 \,\,\,\, (rad/m) [/tex]
    [tex] \lambda = \frac{2\pi}{k_0} = 60 \,\,\,\, (m) [/tex]

At [itex] t = 3 \times 10^{-3} \,\,\,\, (s) [/itex] we require the argument of cosine in [itex] \vec H [/itex]:

[tex] 10^7 \pi (3 \times 10^{-3}) - \frac{\pi}{30}y +\frac{\pi}{4} = \pm n \pi + \frac{\pi}{2}, \,\,\,\,n=0,1,2,\ldots [/tex]

[tex] y = \pm 30n - 7.5 \,\,\,\, (m) [/tex]

Now how the hell do they get the last line? The... [itex] y = \pm 30n - 7.5 \,\,\,\, (m) [/itex] (Lets call this (1)) line.
    They drop [itex] 10^7 \pi (3 \times 10^{-3}) [/itex] why?

My problem is that if we plug in (1) into,
    [tex] \vec H = \hat z 4 \times 10^{-6} \cos \left(10^7 \pi t - k_0 y +\frac{\pi}{4} \right) [/tex]

and set t = 0.003, then if we feed the function values of n then the cosine doesn't drop to 0.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The term they dropped is a multiple of pi (and in fact a multiple of 2pi). Adding a multiple of pi to an angle at which the cosine is zero is still going to give you a cosine of zero.

4. Dec 4, 2006 #3
    Ahh... tricky tricky. (I mean, yeah, it's not too tricky but still, I guess I will add this to my list of things to look for subconsciously while evaluating expressions)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?