Planet orbiting around a star whose mass changes

In summary: In gneill's post (2), he suggests that angular momentum is conserved and that the new velocity must be such that the planet's current speed is equal to the new escape velocity. That leads to the answer ri=rf. Another answer is that the new velocity must be such that the planet's current speed is greater than the new escape velocity, in which case ri would be less than rf.
FruitNinja

Homework Statement

(Assuming all circular orbits)
[/B]
Say there is a star with mass M and a planet orbiting that star with a mass m.

The star M then suddenly loses half of its mass. (So now it is M/2)

What is the new radius of orbit of the planet around the star? Warning: Velocity will not be the same!

I'm not sure how to tackle this problem. I know for sure it has to do with angular momentum

Homework Equations

[/B]
L=Iω or r x p angular momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

conservation of momentum for the planet
from Iωi = Iωf, I got m ri vi = m rf vf , but that doesn't really help

Physics news on Phys.org
FruitNinja said:
conservation of momentum for the planet
from Iωi = Iωf, I got m ri vi = m rf vf , but that doesn't really help
It helps, but you need another equation. What else will be conserved?
(But I have a concern about the question. It seems to assume the new orbit will be circular. That strikes me as most unlikely.)

haruspex said:
It helps, but you need another equation. What else will be conserved?
(But I have a concern about the question. It seems to assume the new orbit will be circular. That strikes me as most unlikely.)

yes, I know it is really not circular but It will be assumed in this probem.

I used f=ma to come up with vi=sqrt(GM/ri) & vf=sqrt(GM/2rf)and plugged in those as V on both sides (with the corresponding r)

I got 2 ri = rf

FruitNinja said:
yes, I know it is really not circular but It will be assumed in this probem.

I used f=ma to come up with vi=sqrt(GM/ri) & vf=sqrt(GM/2rf)and plugged in those as V on both sides (with the corresponding r)

I got 2 ri = rf
Looks ok. The trouble with questions with premisses that defy physical laws is that there may well be different solutions methods, all valid, that produce different answers.

Edit: and gneill has put his finger on just such an alternate answer. As I asked in post #2, what else should be conserved?

Last edited:
I have a feeling that this is a bit of a trick question, and not just because it invokes magic to make mass vanish. Assuming that the planet retains its current orbital speed at the instant half of the star's mass is vanished, I'd look at comparing that speed with the new escape velocity for that location.

Likes PeroK
As I read the problem and guess at the author's thoughts, we are to assume that at the same moment half of the star magically vanishes, the planet does not change mass, but magically teleports to a new position with a new velocity, which are both chosen so that angular momentum is conserved and a circular orbit results.

It is strange that one would pose a problem in which angular momentum conservation is paramount using a scenario involving teleportation. Teleportation defies conservation of angular momentum.

Of course, neither linear nor angular momentum are conserved in this problem anyway. The star changes mass. That defies conservation of both quantities in a great number of frames of reference.

jbriggs444 said:
As I read the problem and guess at the author's thoughts, we are to assume that at the same moment half of the star magically vanishes, the planet does not change mass, but magically teleports to a new position with a new velocity, which are both chosen so that angular momentum is conserved and a circular orbit results.

jbriggs444 said:
... teleports to a new position with a new velocity, which are both chosen so that angular momentum is conserved and a circular orbit results.
As gneill and I have hinted, the author probably did not mean to imply assumption of a new circular orbit; rather, that something else is conserved.
Those two alternate assumptions lead to different answers.

Likes jbriggs444

1. How does the mass of a star affect the orbit of a planet?

The mass of a star has a major influence on the orbit of a planet. The greater the mass of the star, the stronger its gravitational pull on the planet. This results in a faster and more elliptical orbit for the planet around the star.

2. Can the mass of a star change over time?

Yes, the mass of a star can change over time. Stars can gain or lose mass through various processes such as nuclear fusion, where hydrogen is converted into helium, or through interactions with other stars in a binary system.

3. How does a change in the mass of a star affect the habitability of a planet?

The habitability of a planet can be greatly affected by a change in the mass of its star. A significant decrease in the mass of a star could cause its habitable zone to shift, making the planet too cold for liquid water to exist. Conversely, an increase in the mass of a star could push the habitable zone closer to the star, potentially making the planet too hot for life.

4. Is there a limit to how much a star's mass can change?

There is no limit to how much a star's mass can change. While the rate at which a star gains or loses mass may vary, it is possible for a star to undergo significant changes in its mass over time.

5. How do scientists study the effects of changing star mass on planetary orbits?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models and observational data to study the effects of changing star mass on planetary orbits. They may also simulate different scenarios using computer models to better understand the potential outcomes of varying star masses on a planet's orbit.