Circular orbit change after gaining mass ejected from sun

• Thread starter caitphys
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A satellite of mass m is in a circular orbit of radius R about a star of mass M. The star ejects 1% of its mass by means of a spherically symmetric wind which removes the mass to a large distance. What are the new nearest and furthest distances of the satellite’s orbit around the star?

Homework Equations

Angular momentum $$\vec L=\vec r \times \vec p$$

Total energy of orbit $$E= \frac {1}{2}m\dot r^2+\frac{L^2}{2mr^2} -\frac{GMm}{r}$$

surface area of a sphere $$S=4\pi r^2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

If m<<M then it can treated as a point source. So the satellite gains mass ##\frac{M}{400\pi R^2}##

The angular momentum of the circular orbit of the satellite ##\vec L = mr \times \dot r = mr \times (\vec\omega \times \vec r)=mr^2\omega##

For circular motion ##E=\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2 - \frac{GMm}{R}##

I am not entirely sure how to approach this question, as when I considered it I thought that angular momentum and energy should both increase, as the satellite gains mass?

Either way, I calculated the initial angular momentum and energy for the circular orbit of the satellite:

##L=mr^2\omega## and ##\omega=\frac{v_0}{r}## so ##L_0=\frac{GMm}{v_0}##

Now as ##\dot r## is zero for a circular orbit, ##E_0=\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2 - \frac{GMm}{r}##, and equating gravitational force with that of circular motion, ##R=\frac{GM}{v_0^2}## so ##E_0=\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2##.

Now I guess it could be argued that angular momentum is constant as it is conserved for radial forces, but even so, I don't really see how this would help me equate energies or something, as if energy does change, I'm not sure by which factor? Equally, I suppose potentially energy could be conserved if its seen as the total energy of the sun/satellite system, but I really am at a bit of a loss.

I'd really appreciate a bit of a steer in a more productive direction, thanks!

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You know the initial velocity and position of the satellite. This should be sufficient to find its orbit. There is no need to look at energies.