Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planetary Systems within Elliptical Binary Stars?

1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    I read this article in Nature (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature10768.html) as it describes two circumbinary planets. If it is assumed that most stars have a planet orbiting it and most Binary Star systems are elliptical, then wouldn't the majority of Binary Stars system not have planets due to tidal forces of both stars? I am assuming the orbital path of the stars to be intersecting in a figure "eight" pattern (e.g. the last animation of barycentric coordinates on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barycentric_coordinates_(astronomy)).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I would expect that any planets would have to be well outside the orbital radius of the two binary stars or they would become unstable.

4. Jan 12, 2012 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well outside or well inside. The cited article is about planets orbiting well beyond the orbits of a pair of stars that orbit one another closely (close binaries). Another stable configuration is a pair of stars that orbit one another by some distance, with planets orbiting closely to one of the stars. In this configuration the other star just acts as a perturbation on the planetary orbits.

5. Jan 12, 2012 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

True, I guess it depends on the mass of the stars and the details of their orbits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook