Planewave cutoff energy convergence

In summary, the speaker is having trouble achieving convergence with the planewave cutoff energy for a system with 2 atoms. They have successfully determined the minimum k-point mesh, but when computing the total energy with varying PWcE, it only seems to converge at higher values. They are using ultrasoft pseudopotentials and have not allowed the atoms to relax, so the only convergence criteria is the total energy. They are considering changing to a relaxation calculation. The speaker has also conducted calculations with higher PWcE values and the plot seems to be almost asymptotic at a cutoff of 880 eV. They are unsure if they can take the 400 eV value as the planewave cutoff energy and are using a 6
mayerz
Hello everyone,

I have some problems with the convergence for the planewave cutoff energy, I tried to find the correct PWcE for a system with 2 atoms, I've determined the minimum k-point mesh with success, but when I compute the Total energy varying the PWcE, it seems that the convergence will be achieved till too high values of PWcE, should I change the pseudopotentials for the atoms?

I use DACAPO,

I'm Mexican by the way, so sorry if I made a mistake while I wrote this.

best,

Physics news on Phys.org
If the pseudopotential is hard then you may not achieve convergence until reaching to very high cutoff (~700+ eV). On the other extreme ultrasoft pseudopotentials tend to converge with much lower values. Another factor is the type of element you are studying.
Check the manual of your code and the recommended values of the pseudopotential.

Useful nucleus said:
If the pseudopotential is hard then you may not achieve convergence until reaching to very high cutoff (~700+ eV). On the other extreme ultrasoft pseudopotentials tend to converge with much lower values. Another factor is the type of element you are studying.
Check the manual of your code and the recommended values of the pseudopotential.

Thanks for your response, but in fact I'm using ultrasoft pseudopotentials (Vanderbilt), It seems that the Total energy converge at 400 eV but when I compute the total Energy with higher PWcE the tot E fall again to lower values. I didnt allow the atoms to relax, so the unique converge criteria is the total Energy, should I change to a relaxation calculation?

best

There is no need to conduct the energy convergence test in a relaxation simulation. A single point calculation is good enough to test energy convergence.

Can you tell us what the total energy difference per atom between the 400eV cutoff calculation and the more conservative one?

Useful nucleus said:
There is no need to conduct the energy convergence test in a relaxation simulation. A single point calculation is good enough to test energy convergence.

Can you tell us what the total energy difference per atom between the 400eV cutoff calculation and the more conservative one?
Of course! If I compute the total energy difference between the calculations done with a planewave cutoff energy of 320 and 400 eV , I get like 36 KJ/mol; something similar but in the interval of 400 - 480 eV (PWcE) I get about 4 KJ/mol; and the same with a PWcE range 480-700 eV, I get 17 KJ/mol (I've already done some calculations with higher pwce, up to 880 eV, and at this point (starting in 700) the plot seems to be almost asymptotic). But it seems to be a kind of weird to me, because I was hoping for a lower pwce value, it makes any sense?
could I take the 400 eV value as the planewave cutoff energy?

by the way I use a 6 atoms periodic model!

Last edited:

What is planewave cutoff energy convergence?

Planewave cutoff energy convergence is a computational method used in electronic structure calculations to determine the minimum energy required to accurately describe the electronic states of a material. It involves gradually increasing the cutoff energy until the calculated properties converge to a stable value.

Why is planewave cutoff energy convergence important?

Planewave cutoff energy convergence is important because it allows for accurate and reliable electronic structure calculations, which are essential for understanding the properties and behaviors of materials at the atomic level. It ensures that the calculated results are not affected by the choice of cutoff energy, which can significantly impact the accuracy of the calculations.

How is planewave cutoff energy convergence determined?

Planewave cutoff energy convergence is typically determined by performing a series of calculations with increasing cutoff energies and monitoring the convergence of the calculated properties, such as total energy or electronic density, as the cutoff energy increases. Once the calculated properties show minimal changes with increasing cutoff energy, convergence is achieved.

What factors can affect planewave cutoff energy convergence?

The choice of basis set, such as the number and type of planewaves used, can greatly affect the convergence of the electronic structure calculations. Additionally, the size and complexity of the system being studied, as well as the desired level of accuracy, can also impact the required planewave cutoff energy and the convergence rate.

Are there any limitations to planewave cutoff energy convergence?

While planewave cutoff energy convergence is an essential tool for obtaining accurate electronic structure calculations, it can be computationally expensive and time-consuming, especially for large and complex systems. Additionally, the choice of basis set and other parameters can also affect the rate of convergence, and it may be challenging to achieve convergence for certain systems.