Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plastic Engine Block Cooled with liquid metal

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    Is there any research done on plastic engine blocks or cannon barrels ?
    I interested in using plastics at high heat high pressure environments after learning some researchers cools 1600 degree plate to 80 degrees with potassium or sodium or exotic metallic liquids.
    I think it might be possible to produce a block out of graphite powder and epoxy composite ,
    use liquid sodium as a coolant and use of metallic liners.
    Other high wear parts could be made from metal but think the weight reduction of the engine and the easy of production.
    I need your ideas ,

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2
    By the way , if you interested to cool something with liquid metals , look to nuclear power stations or ibm news.

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

4. Feb 11, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I can think of at least a couple other problems with plastic cannon barrels, beyond heat.

5. Feb 11, 2009 #4
    If you jacket the barrel with concrete and if you use a liner , you reach somewhere possible.

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

6. Feb 11, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

With all that extra stuff, what would be the advantages over the traditional steel barrel?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook