Concrete Engine Block with Liners

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of building an engine block from concrete. While concrete may be cheap and a good insulator, it has low tensile strength and may not hold up under pressure and heat. A metal liner would be necessary, making the overall cost not much cheaper than using traditional materials. However, concrete has been used for fireproofing and with the addition of steel fibers, can be strengthened for use in bomb or missile proof walls. While factories may not use concrete due to its slow curing time, it could potentially save time and money in shaping processes.
Mustafa Umut
Is it useful to build my own engine block from concrete , liners inside.
Concrete is cheap , high resistant to pressure and high heat .

Best regards ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mustafa Umut said:
Is it useful to build my own engine block from concrete , liners inside.
No.
High porosity, very low tensile strength, etc.
You might be able to fashion one that functions for a (very) short time, but I can't imagine any serious reason to try.

Well, concrete is relatively inexpensive compared to metal alloys and engineering ceramics, and it would be a relatively good insulator compared to metal.

But concrete doesn't handle tension too well, and I image thermal fatigue would be a problem.

A metal liner would be necessary to maintain a smooth (minimal friction) bore in the piston chamber.

Sure concrete is cheap when you're making a sidewalk, but I seriously doubt it would be cheaper when you tried to manufacture an engine block out of it. As with most precision parts, the expensive part of making an engine block is not the material, its all of the manufacturing and machining processes that go into making it.

I researched concrete technologies little bit to make my boat.
First thing , I learned that concrete is fire proof.
At a fire , heat is enough to melt a aluminium block but no wear to concrete.
Second thing is to make it strong. At nato bases or us embassies they use bomb proof or missile proof walls. They make it with adding high concentration of steel fibers.
Even there is ultra high flexible concrete at the market also.
Problem is to keep metal parts modular , i mean installed on to the concrete mass by epoxy adhesive.
I think factories don't use concrete because it is slow to cure but you can save from time with less paying to shaping machines.

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

What is a concrete engine block with liners?

A concrete engine block with liners is a type of engine block used in internal combustion engines. It is made of concrete, which is reinforced with steel or other materials, and has a series of metal liners or sleeves inside to guide the pistons.

How is a concrete engine block with liners made?

A concrete engine block with liners is made using a casting process, where concrete is poured into a mold that has the shape of the engine block. The mold also has spaces for the metal liners, which are inserted before the concrete is poured. After the concrete has cured, the mold is removed and the engine block is finished with machining and other processes.

What are the benefits of using a concrete engine block with liners?

Concrete engine blocks with liners offer several benefits over traditional metal engine blocks. They are lighter, which can improve fuel efficiency, and they have better vibration dampening properties, resulting in a smoother and quieter engine operation. They are also more durable and resistant to extreme temperatures.

Are there any disadvantages to using a concrete engine block with liners?

While concrete engine blocks with liners have many advantages, there are also some potential disadvantages. The manufacturing process can be more complex and time-consuming, resulting in higher production costs. The concrete may also be more prone to cracking or other damage under certain conditions, although advancements in materials and design have made this less of an issue.

Is the use of concrete engine blocks with liners a new technology?

The use of concrete engine blocks with liners is not a new technology, but it has gained more attention and popularity in recent years. It has been used in some industrial and marine engines since the early 20th century, but advancements in materials and manufacturing processes have made it more viable and appealing for use in smaller engines, such as those in cars and trucks.