Plausibility of high density rocky planets

In summary: This is less dense than Earth meaning it is less likely to be a rocky planet, but it is still not a gas planet either. It is a mini-Neptune, not a mega-Earth.In summary, the conversation revolved around the possibility of a planet with a rocky composition and extremely high density, similar to Earth but with a mass of 4.35 × 10^27 Kg. While one person believed it was impossible, the other thought it was possible depending on the original material in the nebula from which the planet formed. However, based on research and calculations, it seems unlikely for a terrestrial planet to have such high mass and density. The closest possibility would be a white dwarf, but even then,
SammiEmN
I was having a discussion with a friend as to whether or not a planet of rocky composition could exist with an extremely high density. We were thinking something approximately Earth sized, but weighing 4.35 × 10^27 Kg. He says it's impossible, whereas I think it is. Any help anyone can provide on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It turns out that Earth is the densest planet in the solar system.
(I had thought Mercury was more dense but seems I'm wrong on that.)
In the end it depends on the content of the original material in the nebula from which the planet formed.
It's quite possible I would think that a planet could form in a region where there was an abundance of heavy elements due to nearby supernovae at some point in the past.

SammiEmN said:
I was having a discussion with a friend as to whether or not a planet of rocky composition could exist with an extremely high density. We were thinking something approximately Earth sized, but weighing 4.35 × 10^27 Kg. He says it's impossible, whereas I think it is. Any help anyone can provide on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

You can have a white dwarf that is about 2 x 10^28 Kg with four times the Earth's radius. (I haven't done the math, just looked at a graph.) If you want Earth radius it is about 2 x 10^29 Kg.

I couldn't find out easily whether it is possible, but I think not. I found a badly labeled graph that seemed to indicate radius always increases with mass. That makes sense: most of the planet's mass is close to the surface, so the highly compressed center is relatively small.

Look at the attached graph, from a presentation by Sara Seager at MIT. It shows calculated masses and radii for planets of different compositions, overlaid with actual observed planets. So you are asking whether a planet with ~1000 Earth masses and 1 Earth radius could exist. This is in the lower right corner of the diagram, and it looks like the answer is no.

Attachments

• Seager_08.pdf
    67.7 KB · Views: 325
Likes Bandersnatch and SammiEmN
With the mass of 4.35 × 10^27 km, you got a planet the mass of 728.37602286598383507557529147599 Earth masses, 2.32 times the mass of Jupiter. To say, it is impossible for a terrestrial planet to have such high mass. However, white dwarves usually have much more mass than that, at about 0.5 Solar masses, or about 150,000 Earth masses.

The result is: It's not possible by our current understanding.

Sei said:
And do the Mega-Earth!
1.4 R is the "mega-Earth." As I sourced above, exoplanets ≥ 1.6 R are not likely to be rocky. Even at 1.6 R the density would be 7.854 ± 1.24 g/cm3 based upon equation #1 in the other above source I cited. Where: ρP = 2.43 + 3.39( RP / R) g/cm3, including a 20% margin for error in mass and 10% margin for error in radii. However, they concluded that the weighted mean density peaks at ≈1.4 R and 7.6 ± 1.2 g/cm3. Exoplanets with a radius ≥ 1.6 R the density decreases. They cease to be rocky and become more like Neptune. It would appear that to be considered a rocky planet it must have a radii < 1.6 R.

Last edited:
|Glitch| said:
1.4 R is the "mega-Earth." As I sourced above, exoplanets ≥ 1.6 R are not likely to be rocky. Even at 1.6 R the density would be 7.854 ± 1.24 g/cm3 based upon equation #1 in the other above source I cited. Where: ρP = 2.43 + 3.39( RP / R) g/cm3, including a 20% margin for error in mass and 10% margin for error in radii. However, they concluded that the weighted mean density peaks at ≈1.4 R and 7.6 ± 1.2 g/cm3. Exoplanets with a radius ≥ 1.6 R the density decreases. They cease to be rocky and become more like Neptune. It would appear that to be considered a rocky planet it must have a radii < 1.6 R.
Wrong!
Mega-Earths are planets with mass comparable to Neptune (+10 Earth masses), while having density higher than Earth!

Backup claims:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega-Earth
http://exoplanetarchive.ipac.caltec...Overview?objname=K2-3+d&type=CONFIRMED_PLANET

Sei said:
Wrong!
Mega-Earths are planets with mass comparable to Neptune (+10 Earth masses), while having density higher than Earth!

Backup claims:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega-Earth
http://exoplanetarchive.ipac.caltec...Overview?objname=K2-3+d&type=CONFIRMED_PLANET

If they have a mass ≥ 1.6 R then they are likely to have a density < 7.6 ± 1.2 g/cm3. According to the Almenara et al. 2015 paper:
We have low confidence in the mass and density of planets c and d (Sec. 4).

4. Results
We conclude that our data robustly measure the mass of Planet b, 8.4 ± 2.1 M, but not those of c and d. Many more observations and very careful analysis will be needed to disentangle signatures of Planets c and d from the activity signal.
So while planets c and d may exist, their mass is highly speculative. Since they used the mass of the planets c and d to approximate the radius, and then used the radius and mass ratio to calculate density, it makes the density of both c and d also very questionable.

The one planet (b) where they did obtain accurate information has a mass 8.4 ± 2.1 M and a density less than Earth at 4.32 (+2.0, -0.76) g/cm3.

Last edited:

1. What is considered a high density for a rocky planet?

A high density for a rocky planet is typically considered to be above 5 grams per cubic centimeter. This density is comparable to Earth's density, which is around 5.5 grams per cubic centimeter.

2. What factors contribute to the plausibility of high density rocky planets?

The plausibility of high density rocky planets is influenced by several factors, including the planet's composition, mass, and distance from its host star. A higher proportion of heavier elements, such as iron and silicon, can contribute to a higher density. A higher mass also leads to a higher density, as the planet's gravity compresses its interior. Additionally, being closer to a star can result in higher temperatures and stronger gravitational forces, which can also contribute to a higher density.

3. Can high density rocky planets support life?

It is possible for high density rocky planets to support life, but it is not a determining factor. The density of a planet does not necessarily dictate its potential for habitability. Other factors such as the presence of liquid water, a stable atmosphere, and the right distance from its host star for suitable temperatures are also crucial for a planet to support life.

4. How do scientists determine the density of a rocky planet?

Scientists can determine the density of a rocky planet by measuring its mass and size. The mass can be determined through gravitational interactions with other objects, such as its host star or other planets in the system. The size can be determined through observations of the planet's transit across its host star or through direct imaging. By combining these measurements, scientists can calculate the planet's density.

5. Are high density rocky planets more common than low density ones?

Currently, there is not enough data to determine whether high density rocky planets are more common than low density ones. The majority of exoplanets discovered so far have been gas giants, which have lower densities. However, with advancements in technology and more exoplanet discoveries, we may gain a better understanding of the prevalence of high density rocky planets in the universe.