Playing with the Universe Sandbox Software

In summary, the conversation discusses a picture taken with a VIVE, a discussion about the software Universe Sandbox, and a comparison between academic modeling programs and Universe Sandbox in terms of accuracy and visual appeal. It is also mentioned that Universe Sandbox may potentially be a game addition for Unity 3D.
Ralph Rotten
I snapped this picture with my VIVE.
It's a red dwarf.
Universe Sandbox is sooo cool.

D64LAJQVUAAY9sD?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes that is pretty impressive. You should be aware though that the entertainment value of the software will win out over the physics accuracy or even plausibility.

Even with our best modeling programs today, we are still discovering where they fall down and fail to simulate because we still don’t have the complete physics picture.

The difference is that academic programs strive to model as exactly as possible to get the best results whatever they may be whereas the Universe Sandbox will go for the visuals more and accuracy less.

It’s still quite cool. Will this be a game addition to Unity 3D or something to compete with unity?

1. What is Universe Sandbox software?

Universe Sandbox is a physics-based space simulation software that allows users to explore and manipulate the universe in real-time. It is primarily used for educational and entertainment purposes.

2. What can I do with Universe Sandbox?

With Universe Sandbox, you can create and destroy planets, stars, and galaxies, simulate gravity and orbital mechanics, and even create your own solar system. You can also experiment with different physical properties and scenarios to see how they affect the universe.

3. Is Universe Sandbox scientifically accurate?

While Universe Sandbox is based on real physics and astronomical data, it should not be used as a tool for scientific research. Some simplifications and approximations are made for the sake of user-friendliness and performance.

4. How do I use Universe Sandbox?

To use Universe Sandbox, you simply need to download and install the software on your computer. Once open, you can use the various tools and controls to manipulate and explore the universe. There are also tutorials and guides available to help you get started.

5. Can I save my simulations in Universe Sandbox?

Yes, you can save your simulations in Universe Sandbox for future use or to share with others. You can also download and import simulations created by other users. Additionally, Universe Sandbox has a built-in recording feature that allows you to capture and save videos of your simulations.