Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Please any advice, help or suggestions would be very much appreciated

1. Aug 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys! Our finals are coming up and our Physics professor is asking us to create a project which is equivalent to our final quiz and if selected by the Department head we would get a 100% in our subject for the term.

Our professor specified that it has to be a simple machine putting out simple output. It has to be 4feet by 5 feet with 7 processes and an objective. Please any suggestions would be a great help since it was given to us late and the deadline is on August 30th. I hope someone can help.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2012 #2

madmike159

Gold Member

Can you give any more detail about what this is supposed to do?

4. Aug 21, 2012 #3
    Hi there madmike159! Um well our professor just specified that we can create pretty much anything that is involved with Physics or its subtopics. Just as long as it is 5 feet high and 4 feet wide and has 7 processes...for example lets say a ball rolls down an incline and hits a button to launch another ball into the air so on and so forth...something like that where we can explain speed, force, gravity etc...the thing is I am just not good at Physics or things like this at all. My groupmates are no help and I really need the grade. So if you could so kindly suggest something where maybe you have created a project before where you have the design still and the procedures and list of materials I would be so grateful. Im currently looking online but what makes the project difficult is that it has to have 7 processes and of course its height and length required. :( Please help me.

5. Aug 23, 2012 #4

madmike159

Gold Member

You could think of 7 basic experiment that you should have been shown in physics. Of the top of my head you could have

-Wave superposition in water
    -Wave interaction in light (diffraction grating)
    -Light discharging a charged metal surface
    -Conservation of momentum

I'm sure you can pick out a few more from a text book. I wouldn't worry about the logistics of a machine that does all this. From what you have said it sounds almost like a box full of experiments really. The first 3 on my list are also related, so you could find more related experiments.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook