1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity: Length Contraction Problem

1. Apr 25, 2017 #1
    Hello! I have a small problem with a task professor gave us. I tried many options (you will see below) but I cannot seem to get the right solution. Any advice or guideline how to solve this would be really helpful. In advance I thank you for helping me.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Our professor of physics has sense of humor, so he represented this task: starship Enterprise captain measures his ship to be ##4500## meters long. Enterprise passes Earth with velocity of ## 0.8 c_0 ##. In opposite direction, starship Galactica flies by with velocity of ##0.9 c_0##. Compute how long will Enterprise appear to Galactica's captain.

2. Relevant equations
    Pretty obvious, this task will implement length contraction formula $$ L = \sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c_0^2}} L_0 $$. Also, according to solutions, final result should be ##684## meters.

3. The attempt at a solution
    OK, so I began with computing Enterprise's velocity according to Galactica. Using ## v_e' = \frac{0.8c_0 - 0.9c_0}{1 - \frac{0.9c_0 \cdot 0.8c_0}{c_0^2}} = 0.35714c_0 ## I though I should just simply insert this into length contraction formula. It returned ##3608.1## meters.
    Now I decided to use slightly different procedure. I used ## L = \sqrt{1 - \frac{v_e' v_{galactica}}{c_0^2}} L_0 ## but it returned ##3706.9## meters.

At this point I lost all hope. I really wish someone would be able to help me with this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The two ships must have a relative velocity of close to ##c##. How can ##0.357c## be right?

4. Apr 26, 2017 #3
    I used equation ## v_e' = \frac{v_e - v_g}{1 - \frac{v_e v_g}{c_0^2}} ## to determine velocity of Enterprise according to Galactica.. Same equation appeared in previous example and in our textbook so I assumed it must be correct. It returned ## v_e' = 1.07068 \cdot 10^8 m/s ##. I think I must be missing an important step in all of this but I can't seem to find it.

5. Apr 26, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Forget relativity for a moment. If two cars are coming at you from opposite directions at ##80km/h## and ##90km/h## respectively. The relative speed of the two cars is?

a) ##170km/h##

b) ##10km/h##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted