Special Relativity: Length Contraction Problem

In summary: I cannot compute the answer.Forget relativity for a moment. If two cars are coming at you from opposite directions at ##80km/h## and ##90km/h## respectively.a) ##170km/h##
peroAlex
Hello! I have a small problem with a task professor gave us. I tried many options (you will see below) but I cannot seem to get the right solution. Any advice or guideline how to solve this would be really helpful. In advance I thank you for helping me.

Homework Statement

Our professor of physics has sense of humor, so he represented this task: starship Enterprise captain measures his ship to be ##4500## meters long. Enterprise passes Earth with velocity of ## 0.8 c_0 ##. In opposite direction, starship Galactica flies by with velocity of ##0.9 c_0##. Compute how long will Enterprise appear to Galactica's captain.

Homework Equations

Pretty obvious, this task will implement length contraction formula $$ L = \sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c_0^2}} L_0 $$. Also, according to solutions, final result should be ##684## meters.

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so I began with computing Enterprise's velocity according to Galactica. Using ## v_e' = \frac{0.8c_0 - 0.9c_0}{1 - \frac{0.9c_0 \cdot 0.8c_0}{c_0^2}} = 0.35714c_0 ## I though I should just simply insert this into length contraction formula. It returned ##3608.1## meters.
Now I decided to use slightly different procedure. I used ## L = \sqrt{1 - \frac{v_e' v_{galactica}}{c_0^2}} L_0 ## but it returned ##3706.9## meters.

At this point I lost all hope. I really wish someone would be able to help me with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
peroAlex said:
OK, so I began with computing Enterprise's velocity according to Galactica. Using v′e=0.8c0−0.9c01−0.9c0⋅0.8c0c20=0.35714c0 v_e' = \frac{0.8c_0 - 0.9c_0}{1 - \frac{0.9c_0 \cdot 0.8c_0}{c_0^2}} = 0.35714c_0 I

The two ships must have a relative velocity of close to ##c##. How can ##0.357c## be right?

Likes peroAlex
PeroK said:
The two ships must have a relative velocity of close to ##c##. How can ##0.357c## be right?

I used equation ## v_e' = \frac{v_e - v_g}{1 - \frac{v_e v_g}{c_0^2}} ## to determine velocity of Enterprise according to Galactica.. Same equation appeared in previous example and in our textbook so I assumed it must be correct. It returned ## v_e' = 1.07068 \cdot 10^8 m/s ##. I think I must be missing an important step in all of this but I can't seem to find it.

peroAlex said:
I used equation ## v_e' = \frac{v_e - v_g}{1 - \frac{v_e v_g}{c_0^2}} ## to determine velocity of Enterprise according to Galactica.. Same equation appeared in previous example and in our textbook so I assumed it must be correct. It returned ## v_e' = 1.07068 \cdot 10^8 m/s ##. I think I must be missing an important step in all of this but I can't seem to find it.

Forget relativity for a moment. If two cars are coming at you from opposite directions at ##80km/h## and ##90km/h## respectively. The relative speed of the two cars is?

a) ##170km/h##

b) ##10km/h##

1. What is special relativity and how does it relate to length contraction?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. Length contraction is a consequence of special relativity, where an object's length appears shorter when it is moving at high speeds relative to an observer.

2. How does length contraction occur?

Length contraction occurs due to the fact that the speed of light is constant for all observers. When an object is moving at high speeds, its motion through space is also converted into motion through time. This causes the object's length to appear shorter in the direction of motion as measured by an observer.

3. What is the formula for calculating length contraction?

The formula for calculating length contraction is L = L0 * √(1 - v^2/c^2), where L is the contracted length, L0 is the original length, v is the relative velocity between the object and observer, and c is the speed of light.

4. Does length contraction only occur in one direction?

No, length contraction occurs in the direction of motion as measured by an observer. This means that an object's length may appear different from different perspectives depending on the relative motion between the object and the observer.

5. Are there any real-life examples of length contraction?

Yes, there are several real-life examples of length contraction. One example is the muon experiment, where subatomic particles called muons are observed to have a longer lifespan when moving at high speeds due to length contraction. Another example is the GPS system, which must account for length contraction in order to accurately measure distances and time intervals for precise navigation.