Please check my proof; how many functions exist from X to Y?

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I just need to know if it makes sense; I was told that I can't have anyone make any improvements on what I've written myself.

Question: If [itex]X = \{ x_1 , \ldots, x_n \}[/itex] and [itex]Y = \{ y_1 , \ldots, y_m \}[/itex], how many functions from [itex]X[/itex] to [itex]Y[/itex] exist?

My answer: [itex]m^n[/itex] functions

3. The attempt at a solution
    For any element [itex]x \in X[/itex], there exists a unique [itex]y \in Y[/itex] for which [itex]F(x) = y[/itex].

Every [itex]n[/itex] element in [itex[X[/itex] will be paired with any one of the [itex]m[/itex] elements in [itex]Y[/itex].
    i.e. there exist [itex]m[/itex] possible [itex]F(x_1)[/itex] in [itex]Y[/itex] that can be paired with [itex]x_1[/itex].
    [itex]x_2[/itex] can be paired with [itex]m[/itex] possible [itex]F(x_2)[/itex]
    [itex]x_n[/itex] can be paired with [itex]m[/itex] possible [itex]F(x_n)[/itex].

Because the domain [itex]D_F = X[/itex], every function generated through F will contain [itex]n[/itex] coordinate pairs. Furthermore, since there are [itex]m[/itex] possible values [itex]F(x) = y[/itex] for each element [itex]x[/itex], there are [itex]n[/itex] factors of [itex]m[/itex], or [itex]m^n[/itex], possible functions.

Thanks for any commentary (but not actual help!) you can provide.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dick

Dick 25,913
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Makes perfect sense to me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?