1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please check my (simple) proof. Skeptical of its simplicity

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    x,y are in R. Suppose x2+y2=0. Prove that x=0 and y=0.

My proof:

Suppose x[itex]\neq[/itex]0, y[itex]\neq[/itex]0. Then by the field axioms, both x2 and y2 are strictly positive, and so is their sum. This is a contradiction, since we supposed that their sum = 0.

Thus, x=0, and y=0.

This problem and proof seem so simple, I think there may be something wrong with it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2
    What specific geometric shape does it define in the Cartesian ?

4. Sep 5, 2011 #3

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Yes, you're not quite there: you have shown that x and y can't both be zero. Could either one be zero? (Well, of course, they can't, but you still need to include something about this in your argument.)

5. Sep 5, 2011 #4
    Is it a circle? The hw problem is for an intro to analysis class though, so I wonder if a geometric argument / proof would be accepted.

To dynamicsolo: Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I felt like I was missing something.

6. Sep 6, 2011 #5
    The structure of your method of proof is incorrect in general. You are attempting a proof via contradiction. The negation of a conjunction is not simply the conjunction of the negations of its conjuncts. Finding and using the correct form of your new premise (assumed as a result of contradiction) will lead you to a more traditional and sound argument.

7. Sep 6, 2011 #6
    Hi Syrus. Do you mind clarifying? I don't think I understand what a traditional argument is. What makes a sound proof by contradiction? So far, I show, by contradiction that:

1.) x [itex]\neq[/itex] 0 ---> x2+y2 [itex]\neq[/itex] 0
    2.) y [itex]\neq[/itex] 0 ---> x2+y2 [itex]\neq[/itex] 0
    3.) x, y [itex]\neq[/itex] 0 ---> x2+y2 [itex]\neq[/itex] 0

Thus, x=0, and y=0. How do I improve the argument? Thanks.

8. Sep 6, 2011 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, that's not simple enough! You don't need line (3).
    Although I would add more words:
    "1) if [itex]x\ne 0[/itex] then [itex]x^2> 0[/itex]. [itex]y^2\ge 0[/tex] so [itex]x^2 +y^2> 0[/itex]. Contradiction"

9. Sep 8, 2011 #8
    Well i meant that the negation of (x = 0 AND y = 0( is (x =/= 0 OR y =/= 0). At least that's the way I would look at it and proceed (via proof by cases).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook