Please check- Statistical paramagnetism.

In summary, the conversation discusses the mean magnetic moment of a paramagnetic crystal of N ions with spin 1/2 at constant temperature T, subjected to a magnetic field B. Using the fact that the Helmholtz Free Energy is minimized, it is shown that the mean magnetic moment M is equal to \mu tanh\frac{\mu B}{kT}. The conversation also mentions the equations for magnetic work and energy of alignment with the field, as well as the first and second laws of thermodynamics. Finally, the conversation concludes with a solution and a request for feedback.
Beer-monster

Homework Statement

A paramagnetic crystal of N ions of spin 1/2, at constant temperature T, is subjected to a magnetic field B. Using the fact that the Helmholtz Free Energy is minimized show that the mean magnetic moment M is:

[tex] \mu tanh\frac{\mu B}{kT} [/tex]

Homework Equations

Magnetic work:[tex]dW=-\mu_0 M dH [/tex]

For paramagnetic material: [tex] H=\frac{B}{\mu_0}[/tex]Energy of alignment with field: [tex] \mu B [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If Free Energy is minimum [tex]dF=dE-TdS=0[/tex]

Using II Law of TD

[tex] dS=\frac{dQ}{T} \rightarrow TdS=dQ [/tex]

and I Law of TD

[tex] dQ=dE+dW = dE-\mu_0 M dH [/tex]

Gives:

[tex] dF=\mu_0 M dH = MdB[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex] \frac{dF}{dM}=M [/tex]

Using
[tex] F=-kT\ln Z[/tex]

where
[tex] Z = exp\left(\frac{-\mu B}{kT}\right) + exp\left(\frac{\mu B}{kT}\right) = 2 cosh\left(\frac{\mu B}{kT}\right) [/tex]

Differientiating with respect to B and doing some algebra gives.

[tex] \mu tanh\frac{\mu B}{kT} [/tex]

QED

Anyone see any problems, I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please anyone? I really need this because I'm tutoring and don't want to give a solution I'm not 100% about.

1. What is statistical paramagnetism?

Statistical paramagnetism is a phenomenon in physics where a group of particles interact with each other and behave like tiny magnets. It is a statistical approach to understanding the magnetic properties of materials at the microscopic level.

2. How is statistical paramagnetism different from regular paramagnetism?

In regular paramagnetism, the magnetic moments of individual particles align with an external magnetic field. However, in statistical paramagnetism, the magnetic moments of particles are randomly oriented and interact with each other.

3. What are the underlying principles of statistical paramagnetism?

The principles of statistical paramagnetism are based on statistical mechanics and the laws of thermodynamics. This includes the concept of entropy and the relationship between energy and temperature.

4. What are some real-life applications of statistical paramagnetism?

Statistical paramagnetism has various applications in materials science, including the study of magnetic properties of materials and the design of magnetic storage devices. It is also used in the analysis of spin glasses and other disordered systems.

5. How is statistical paramagnetism relevant to other fields of science?

Statistical paramagnetism has connections to other areas of physics such as quantum mechanics and solid-state physics. It is also relevant to fields such as chemistry, where magnetic properties of materials are important, and biology, where it can be used to study the behavior of biomolecules.