Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please eliminate text-speak in PF Chat.

1. Jul 28, 2013 #1

turbo

Gold Member

So many lazy people type ur instead of you are and other text-speak short-cuts. It doesn't parse well (at least for me) and it makes PF Chat look trashy, IMO.

Thanks for considering it.
    turbo

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2013 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

How would we go about eliminating it? That's a question, not an argument.

4. Jul 28, 2013 #3

Evo

Chat is very temporary, anything posted quickly scrolls off the screen and nothing is kept for later viewing. There is no need to do anything, I rarely see anyone use text speak in chat except as maybe a joke. It's just not a problem.

5. Jul 29, 2013 #4
    I find text speak a good way of developing a nice strong bias towards someone's response before actually having read it. :)

6. Jul 29, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

PF chat is a collection of very distinct individuals. You simply can't make everybody happy. Some people might hate text-speak. Other people hate discussions about mathematics. Other people hate that people talk about their pets all the time. Etc.

If we attempt to make everybody happy, then might forbid everything that people hate. But it will turn out that we will just have to forbid everything. And we can just quit having PF chat.

So the best option is not forbidding things, and to have a little tolerance with respect to other people.

7. Jul 29, 2013 #6
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Its no big deal.

8. Jul 29, 2013 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I don't worry about it. Test-speak is forbidden on the forums, and I feel that rule ought to be extended to chat, as well. PF has a lot of guests from non-English speaking countries, and many of them preface their posts with "I am sorry for my poor English". Why put an extra hurdle in their way if we would like them to participate in chat? Obviously, I am not referring to somebody like Borek, whose grasp of English is excellent, but it would be nice for all of PF to be inclusive.

Just my thoughts. No biggie. Text-speak is merely annoying to me, but might throw some foreign students for a loop.

9. Jul 29, 2013 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, but are there actually foreign students with limited english on chat? If there are no foreign students on chat, then we shouldn't implement such a rule.

10. Jul 29, 2013 #9

turbo

Gold Member

I have no idea, micro. The problem is that a lot of foreign PF guests seem to do pretty well with reading and writing, but that doesn't mean that they have a good grasp of pronunciation, nor of homonyms.

Never mind. It seems that among the mentors this request is dead in the water.

11. Jul 29, 2013 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And <micro> is text-speak for <micromass>, right ? :biggrin:

12. Jul 29, 2013 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You might give some thought about whether or not YOU get to decide what is or is not a big deal for someone other than yourself.

13. Jul 29, 2013 #12

Evo

I believe what stevie is saying is that text speak is very rare in chat, it's not an issue.

14. Jul 29, 2013 #13

DavidSnider

Gold Member

The end result of making the main chat too sensitive and politically correct will be that somebody spawns off an unmoderated IRC channel that leeches away conversation from the main site.

15. Jul 29, 2013 #14
    I don't think we need to go down that road. It is, in my opinion, a minor issue that doesn't need to be made into international news (or local/national news).

16. Jul 29, 2013 #15

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That would be interesting one day, to see an Al-Jazeera blog entry, commenting on PF chat.

The world is getting so small lately. It used to be really big, back when I was a child.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook