1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me calculate weight of a person on the moon

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    the mass of the moon is about 7.5*10^22 kg and its diameter is about 3.5*10^6 meters. calculate the weight of a 70 kg person on the moon.

so we got F=G*m1*m2/d^2

G=6.67*10^-11N*m^2/kg^2

to find the mass we can use m1= F*d^2/m2*G (how did we manipulate the first formula to get this? no matter how i try to change the first formula it never ends up like this one)

i have been trying to solve this for a week now. it`s not a homework. i am just trying to teach myself physics and this book i purchased is very superficial and leaves huge holes in explanations.

please show me how to solve this. including the manipulations with scientific notation.
    thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

you don't need to find the mass, the force F will give you the person's weight.

4. Feb 3, 2010 #3
    so i have to use the first formula?

and i`d like to know how exactly the second formula for m1 was obtained from the first one.

5. Feb 3, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes.

[tex]F=\frac{GM_1M_2}{d^2}[/tex]

multiply both sides by d2 and then divide by GM2

6. Feb 17, 2010 #5
    sorry for a reply long overdue. THANK YOU TONS, especially for breaking down the process of obtaining a formula from another.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook