1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me for a calculation! why my value different from that of literature?

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    please help me for a calculation! why my value different from that of literature????

delta E= {h^2*(3*n/pi)^(2/3) }/(8*m)

here: h Plank constant.
    n the concentration of electron. n=4.46e20 cm^(-3)
    m the effective mass of electron. m=0.35me (me is the static mass of electron)

I calculated for many times, but my calculated values (0.6eV) always large than that of reference, 0.201eV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ps:This is not my homework, please, Administrator, let me post my question here. many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2
    Just a question from the un-knowing: What are these curled brackets meant to say and what formula is this (I don't recognize anything unless provided in Latex or on paper)

4. Sep 30, 2008 #3
    ok, this formula is a expression of energy change in the band gap in the degenerate semiconductor, it's come from the Burstein theory.
    here you can look for detail:

I. Hamberg, C.G. Granqvist, J. Appl. Phys. 60 (11) (1986) 123.

Thanks for your reply!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook