Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me for a calculation! why my value different from that of literature?

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    please help me for a calculation! why my value different from that of literature????

delta E= {h^2*(3*n/pi)^(2/3) }/(8*m)

here: h Plank constant.
    n the concentration of electron. n=4.46e20 cm^(-3)
    m the effective mass of electron. m=0.35me (me is the static mass of electron)

I calculated for many times, but my calculated values (0.6eV) always large than that of reference, 0.201eV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ps:This is not my homework, please, Administrator, let me post my question here. many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2
    Just a question from the un-knowing: What are these curled brackets meant to say and what formula is this (I don't recognize anything unless provided in Latex or on paper)

4. Sep 30, 2008 #3
    ok, this formula is a expression of energy change in the band gap in the degenerate semiconductor, it's come from the Burstein theory.
    here you can look for detail:

I. Hamberg, C.G. Granqvist, J. Appl. Phys. 60 (11) (1986) 123.

Thanks for your reply!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?