• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Please read if you uses Physics for Engineers by Ohanian/Markert

Please read if you uses Physics for Engineers by Ohanian/Markert!!

Hey Everyone,

I hope this is the right place to post this question. I am taking General Physics with Calculus this semester and I have a test coming up in the next few weeks. My professor this semester is using Physics for Engineers and Scientists by Hans Ohanian and John Markert. What has worked well for my upper level chemistry courses/my math courses is to drill practice problems on top of practice problems. I bought the supplementary solutions manual but the problem is that it only contains the odd solutions. I have looked ALL over the internet (i.e. cramster, google... etc.) but can't find any of the remaining solutions! No explanations, no answers, or anything. I'm getting extremely frustrated because I do practice problems but have no idea if I am doing them the correctly because I don't know the final answer. We do not have assigned/graded homework problems in this course so just blindly copying the correct answers down without understanding it serves absolutely no benefit to me... I actually want to attempt to learn the material on my own through practice!

If anyone has used this textbook in their course and could possibly guide me to a complete solution set, I would be incredibly grateful.

Answers and Replies

I asked my professor and he told me there is no way to get the solutions to the even-numbered questions. I had a mechanics course last semester and an electromagnetism course this time, both of which used the Ohanian/Makert book.
The solutions manual is not available in my country, can you please let me know where I can find it online? There are PDF versions but I am no good in searching for them!

thanks!

I asked my professor and he told me there is no way to get the solutions to the even-numbered questions. I had a mechanics course last semester and an electromagnetism course this time, both of which used the Ohanian/Makert book.
The solutions manual is not available in my country, can you please let me know where I can find it online? There are PDF versions but I am no good in searching for them!

thanks!
I couldn't come across a free PDF version either but I was able to find the solutions manual to physically buy: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393929809/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I'm not sure what country you are from, but, if possible you can sign up for Amazon Prime and get free shipping (its free for students). I hope that works for you

I browsed through their website and instructors can purchase the entire answer key in pdf form from them but it is not available for students. I really don't understand why it is IMPOSSIBLE to get the full solutions! This really isn't high school.

Last edited by a moderator:

THANK YOU! That does help a bit. I really appreciate it.

Maybe someone else's university posts pdfs to the practice problems as well? I would really really really really really appreciate it if someone could PM me if they do have access to them. I am stressing out because I feel like I am missing so much by only doing half of the problems in the book!

THANKS A MILLION you guys are great! :)

verty
Homework Helper

Come on, the reason only odd solutions are available is to force you to get to know the type of problem well enough to be able to determine for yourself whether you are correct or not. If you know a question well enough, you'll be able to tell whether the answer you get is plausible. You need to be able to say, I trust this answer because I can see that it is plausible. That is the level the author would wish you to reach.