Best physics book to use(please read)?

In summary, the rising sophomore in high school is studying AP Physics C but finds the Kleppner book very hard to follow. He found a better book called Introduction to Classical Mechanics by David Morrin.
david456103
Hi everyone,
Let me just give you some background on my physics knowledge/experience. I am a rising sophomore in high school and my freshman year I self-studied AP Physics C and am almost 100% sure I scored a 5. Right now I'm studying for the USAPhO. I have the book Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner and Kolenkow, and while it is a great text it is sometimes hard to follow and the problems have no solutions(so I have no way whether I'm doing the right thing or not on a lot of the problems; very few problems have solutions online). As a result, I find the Kleppner book VERY hard to follow. I was surfing the web and ran into a book called Introduction to Classical Mechanics by David Morrin. For my purposes, do you guys think the Morrin book is of better use than the Kleppner book?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't get a response that you're looking for from somebody who knows what they're talking about, then refer to the search function in the toolbar. There are lots of threads like this (maybe not by people in the exact same situation as you, but close enough) and you'll be able to find lots of great recommendations on Physics textbooks.

Good luck!

Hey David,

I'm currently studying CM using Morin's Book. I like it a lot but take heed that the area this book excels at is the abundance of good problems it offers. Only way to learn physics is by doing many many problems and this book offers just that. That being said, I'm not sure if this book is ideal for a sophomore in high school; it is more geared towards 2nd year undergrads IMO. But hey, if you are up for the task, you should definitely get this book and do the problems. I know nothing of Kleppner's book so I can't really compare. Maybe somebody else can chip in? :P

Good Luck

SolsticeFire

1. What is the best physics book for beginners?

The best physics book for beginners will depend on your personal learning style and interests. Some popular options include "Concepts of Physics" by HC Verma, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman.

2. What is the most comprehensive physics textbook?

The most comprehensive physics textbook is a subjective question as different textbooks may cover different topics in varying levels of depth. However, some commonly recommended options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, and "The Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Paul Dirac.

3. Are there any physics textbooks that are easy to understand?

Physics can be a challenging subject, but there are some textbooks that are written in a more accessible and easy-to-understand manner. Some popular options include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" by Giancoli, and "College Physics" by Raymond A. Serway and Chris Vuille.

4. What is the best physics book for self-study?

The best physics book for self-study will depend on your current knowledge and understanding of the subject. Some recommended options for self-study include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "Quantum Physics for Poets" by Leon M. Lederman and Christopher T. Hill.

5. Can you recommend a physics textbook with practical applications?

There are many physics textbooks that include practical applications of concepts, but some specific ones to consider are "Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach" by Randall D. Knight, "The Physics of Everyday Phenomena" by W. Thomas Griffith and Juliet Brosing, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics: Technology Update" by Douglas C. Giancoli.