Please share your chaotic systems....

In summary, the conversation is about an undergraduate student seeking help in finding an interesting dynamic system for their final assignment. The student mentions using the book of Greiner and studying the staggering of Hyperion during the course. They also mention considering compound pendulums, water dripping from a faucet, a torsional version of a compound pendulum, and Saturns and Jupiters moons as potential systems to study. Another resource suggested is seminar slides about chaotic systems, which the student found useful. The student expresses a desire for a unique and uncommon system.
MarcoJV
Hi.

I am an undergrad student taking a course on dynamical systems. Our final assignment is to find and study a dynamic system (not necesarily mechanic, but chaotic, natually).

I was wondering if there is experenced people in this community that could help me find an interesting system or helping me by suggesting where to look or read.

During the course, we used mainly the book of Greiner, and the last thing we studied was the staggering of Hyperion.

I will happily share it with you when I finish it.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
MarcoJV said:
Our final assignment is to find and study a dynamic system (not necesarily mechanic, but chaotic, natually).
Why isn't a simple double pendulum the solution to it? Do you have special requirements or what have been your thoughts so far?

The ones that come to mind that you might build and study are

Compound pendulums
Water dripping from a faucet

You might try building a torsional version of a compound pendulum although I don't know if that would exhibit chaotic behavior or not.

Or a compound compound pendulum i.e. N pendulum segments connected together.

jedishrfu said:
I found these seminar slides about chaotic systems that have a few others listed

http://math.arizona.edu/~shankar/efa/efa4.pdf

I found this very useful, even though there are many blank slides, thank you!

I know about double pendulums and stuff, but, I want something more attractive, something not very common.

Likes Stavros Kiri

1. What are chaotic systems?

Chaotic systems are complex systems that exhibit seemingly random and unpredictable behavior over time. They are characterized by sensitive dependence on initial conditions, meaning that small changes in initial conditions can lead to vastly different outcomes.

2. How do chaotic systems differ from random systems?

Random systems are truly random and their behavior cannot be predicted. Chaotic systems, on the other hand, have underlying rules and patterns that govern their behavior, but the complexity and sensitivity to initial conditions make it difficult to predict their exact outcomes.

3. What are some examples of chaotic systems?

Examples of chaotic systems include weather patterns, population dynamics, and stock market fluctuations. In these systems, small changes in initial conditions, such as temperature or population size, can lead to drastically different outcomes.

4. Can chaotic systems be modeled or predicted?

While it is difficult to predict the exact outcomes of chaotic systems, they can be modeled and studied using mathematical equations and computer simulations. These models can help us understand the underlying patterns and behavior of chaotic systems.

5. What is the significance of studying chaotic systems?

Studying chaotic systems can help us understand and predict complex phenomena in various fields, such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering. It can also lead to the development of new technologies and strategies for managing and controlling chaotic systems.