Plot function of 3 space variables plus time

In summary: I think it would be ok just to plot ##\rho(x,y,z,t)=1## at all times, in this case I think it would be just a fixed sphere, but in general it would be some evolving isosurface.
Telemachus
Hi there. I am willing to plot a function of three space variables plus time, let's say ##\phi(x,y,z,t)##. The idea is to plot the 3D function for each time, i.e. evolving in time. As I have three independent variables, corresponding to the three Cartesian coordinates, the function is actually a four dimensional object. So, the idea I had in mind was to plot the mangitude of the function with colours and transparencies, in such a way that I can see through the 3D space. As ##\phi## represents some diffusing concentration, I would like to see it in the whole 3D domain. If possible, I would like to do this with gnu plot. I have already plotted functions of two space variables evolving in time with gnuplot, but that is much easier.

However, if somebody knows of other alternatives to do this, I dispose of the data in columns, in a text file, x,y,z,##\phi##,t. If there is some software to do this in an easy way, I would welcome it (preferably in linux, but if it is for windows, I can arrange my self to do that).

Physics news on Phys.org
To try to "see" the whole 3d domain, represented by transparent colors, would be difficult enough if you actually built a 3D object, which somebody could walk around and look at. But you want to project this onto a 2d screen. I don't think it will be represented well. There is no easy way. I think this is why you are having a hard time finding something, and not getting much response here.

Likes Telemachus
But, for example (and excuse me for this illustration, but this is how the idea came to me) when you pee in the toilet, you are seeing the concentration of pee diffusing in the water, and this concentration is a function of three space variables and time, why can't I resemble this?

Hi. I could plot the isosurfaces for each time t: ##\phi(x,y,z)=C##, where C is a constant. I could generate a file with columns ##(x,y,z)## for which ##\phi(x,y,z)=C##, is it possible to plot it that way?

You can plot a sequence of surfaces. Here's a simple example done in Maple, where you have a sphere with perhaps a varying density indicated by a change in color. But you can't see it all at once. Not sure if it's the kind of thing you want or whether an animated gif will work here. Here goes:
spheres.gif

Well, I guess it works.
Here's another example where instead of animation I use wireframe so you can see through it somewhat. It's the same example:
spheres3.gif

Last edited:
Likes Telemachus
Yes, that is ok. Your function is something like ##\rho(x,y,z,t)=x^2+y^2+z^2+\phi(t)##? I think it would be ok just to plot ##\rho(x,y,z,t)=1## at all times, in this case I think it would be just a fixed sphere, but in general it would be some evolving isosurface.

1. What is the purpose of plotting a function of three space variables plus time?

The purpose of plotting a function of three space variables plus time is to visualize how the function changes over both space and time. This can help in understanding the behavior and patterns of the function and can be useful in various scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and meteorology.

2. How is a plot of a function of three space variables plus time different from a regular 2D or 3D plot?

A plot of a function of three space variables plus time is different from a regular 2D or 3D plot because it includes an additional variable, time. This means that the function is being plotted as a function of four variables, rather than just two or three. This can result in a more complex and dynamic plot, showing how the function changes over both space and time.

3. What types of functions can be plotted in 3D space with time?

In theory, any function that has three independent variables (x, y, z) and one dependent variable (t) can be plotted in 3D space with time. However, in practice, this type of plotting is most commonly used for functions that describe physical systems or phenomena that change over time, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and wave propagation.

4. How can plotting a function of three space variables plus time be helpful in research and analysis?

Plotting a function of three space variables plus time can be helpful in research and analysis as it allows for a visual representation of complex data. It can help in identifying patterns, trends, and relationships between the variables, which can aid in understanding the behavior of the system or phenomenon being studied. This type of plotting can also be used for simulation and prediction purposes.

5. Are there any limitations to plotting a function of three space variables plus time?

Yes, there are limitations to plotting a function of three space variables plus time. One limitation is the complexity of the plot, which can make it difficult to interpret or analyze. Additionally, the accuracy of the plot may be affected by the precision of the input data and the assumptions made in the function. Furthermore, certain types of functions may not be easily represented in this type of plot, such as non-linear or discontinuous functions.