Plotting animations (time-evolution)

In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to create an animation of the spatial probability density function over a range of time values using MATLAB. They are suggested to use a loop to plot the pdf at each time step and create an animation.
WWCY
Hi all,

I have a spatial probability density function that is dependent on ##x##, space and ##t##, time.

I am able to make a plot for spatial probability density for each point in time by specifying ##t## values by using the fplot function.

However, I want an animation that allows me to see how probability density evolves from say ##t[0 , 5]##.

Are there any MATLAB functions that could help me achieve this?

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the loop over time, simply plot the pdf at every step on the same plot. As the calculation goes, it will appear as an animation.

DrClaude said:
In the loop over time, simply plot the pdf at every step on the same plot. As the calculation goes, it will appear as an animation.

I believe I understand what you mean. I'll give it a shot, thank you!

1. How do I create an animation of time-evolution in my plot?

To create an animation of time-evolution in your plot, you can use a combination of a loop and the matplotlib.animation library in Python. You will need to update your plot at each iteration of the loop and save each frame as an image. Then, you can use the FuncAnimation function to create an animation from the saved images.

2. Can I customize the appearance of my time-evolution animation?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your time-evolution animation by using various parameters in the FuncAnimation function. These parameters include the animation duration, frame rate, and style of animation. You can also use the matplotlib.animation library to add additional features such as labels, titles, and legends to your animation.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when plotting animations of time-evolution?

Some common mistakes to avoid when plotting animations of time-evolution include not updating the plot at each iteration of the loop, not saving the frames of the animation, and not specifying the correct parameters in the FuncAnimation function. It is also important to make sure that your data is properly formatted and that you are using the correct syntax for your chosen programming language.

4. Is it possible to save my time-evolution animation as a video or GIF?

Yes, it is possible to save your time-evolution animation as a video or GIF. You can use the save() method in the FuncAnimation function to save your animation as a video file, such as MP4 or AVI. To save your animation as a GIF, you will need to use additional libraries such as imageio or Pillow to convert your saved images into a GIF format.

5. Can I add interactive elements to my time-evolution animation?

Yes, you can add interactive elements to your time-evolution animation by using the matplotlib.animation library and the matplotlib.widgets module. These tools allow you to add buttons, sliders, and other interactive elements to your animation, allowing you to control and manipulate the plot in real-time.