Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plotting functions and coordinates, Mathematica

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    Hi all.

Is there a way to plot both functions and coordinates/points on the same graph in Mathematica? The various functions for plotting each seem very incompatible. I would like to compare a probability function to Monte-Carlo-method simulation results.

Also, out of curiosity, do different programming languages have "better" pseudo-random number generation techniques or does it not really make a difference?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2
    data = Table[{x, x^2}, {x, 0, 2}];
    Show[
    Plot[x^2, {x, 0, 2}],
    ListPlot[data],
    Graphics[Text["(1,1)", {1, 1}, {-1, 0}]]
    ]

will show a graph, points and a coordinate.
    If you need to you can change point size, color, background, dashing and a thousand other visual effects.

There are expensive hardware random number generators you can buy.

I've wanted someone to think of a cheap hardware hack that would generate a few random bits a second from the radioactive decay of a smoke detector, but I haven't found anyone interested in doing that.

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3
    Thanks Bill! It works nicely.

I'm self-taught so I ignored Show[]'s existence. Now I know.

That's an interesting hack, although I guess for most purposes computer-generated numbers work fine ... and are simpler to obtain.

Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook