Plotting standard deviation in Matlab

In summary, plotting standard deviation in Matlab allows for a visual representation of the variability or spread of a dataset, which can aid in identifying outliers and patterns. This can be done by using the <code>plot</code> or <code>errorbar</code> functions and customizing the appearance with various options. The interpretation of the standard deviation plot involves looking at the spread of the data points around the mean, and it is possible to plot multiple standard deviations in one plot using Matlab.
Apashanka
I have a data set 1st coloumn containing ##x## values 2nd coloumn containing ##y## values and 3rd coloumn containing standard deviation of ##y## associated with each ##x## value...I want to plot these 3 values together in a MATLAB plot...can anyone please help me in this regard??

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How do I calculate the standard deviation in Matlab?

To calculate the standard deviation in Matlab, you can use the built-in function "std". This function takes in an array of values and returns the standard deviation as a single number. For example, if you have an array called "data", you can use the command "std(data)" to calculate the standard deviation.

2. How do I plot standard deviation in Matlab?

To plot standard deviation in Matlab, you can use the "errorbar" function. This function takes in an array of values for the x-axis, an array of values for the y-axis, and an array of values for the error bars (which can be calculated using the "std" function). The output is a plot with error bars representing the standard deviation for each data point.

3. How can I customize the appearance of the standard deviation plot in Matlab?

There are several ways to customize the appearance of the standard deviation plot in Matlab. You can change the color, thickness, and style of the error bars using the "errorbar" function. You can also add a legend, labels, and a title to the plot using the "legend", "xlabel", "ylabel", and "title" functions, respectively. Additionally, you can modify the axes and figure properties using the "axis" and "gca" functions.

4. Can I plot multiple standard deviations in one graph in Matlab?

Yes, you can plot multiple standard deviations in one graph in Matlab. To do this, you can use the "hold on" command before plotting each set of data. This will allow you to plot multiple sets of data on the same graph. You can also use the "legend" function to add a legend to the plot, which will distinguish between the different standard deviations.

5. Is it possible to calculate and plot standard deviation for a subset of data in Matlab?

Yes, it is possible to calculate and plot standard deviation for a subset of data in Matlab. You can use logical indexing to select the subset of data that you want to calculate the standard deviation for. For example, if you have an array called "data" and you only want to calculate the standard deviation for values greater than 10, you can use the command "std(data(data>10))". Similarly, you can use logical indexing to plot the subset of data using the "errorbar" function.