Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plotting Vector Field in Mathematica

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    y'=ay-by^2-q, where a, b are positive constants, and q is an arbitrary constant. In the following, y denotes a solution of this equation that satisfies the initial condition y(0) = y_0.
    a. Choose a and b positive and q < a^2/4b. By plotting direction fields and solutions of A on suitable rectangular grids

R = {0<t<T,c<y<d}
    in the ty plane , discover that there are numbers y1 and y2 with y1<y2 such that if
    y_0>y1 the the lim as t approaches infiniti of y(t) = y_2, while if y_0<y1 then y(t) = negative infiniti for some value of t

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I tried plotting using vectorfieldplot, it works fine for the equation w/o the constants a and b. But when i plug those in, it's error city. Do I need to manipulate this equation prior to attempting to plot it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mathematica evaluates the function being plotted and it cannot do that if it doesn't know what a and b stand for. You need to input specific values for these parameters.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?