Plotting with Mathematica or Wolframalpha

In summary, to plot multiple functions on the same graph in Mathematica, use the Plot function with the functions listed in curly braces and the desired x interval specified after a comma. This will prevent the functions from being split into separate graphs.
tolove
Apologies if this is readily available, but I can't seem to find an example of it.

How do I go about plotting multiple functions on the same graph? It keeps splitting my functions up into separate graphs. Nothing complicated, just something like two planes intersecting.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you want to plot something like ##f(x)=x^{2}## and ##g(x)=x^{3}## on the same graph with ##x## interval ##-1 \leq x \leq 1##, using Mathematica, you write Plot[{x^2, x^3},{x,-1,1}]. At least this works in Mathematica 7.

Likes 1 person
hilbert2 said:
If you want to plot something like ##f(x)=x^{2}## and ##g(x)=x^{3}## on the same graph with ##x## interval ##-1 \leq x \leq 1##, using Mathematica, you write Plot[{x^2, x^3},{x,-1,1}]. At least this works in Mathematica 7.

Thanks! Works!

1. What is Mathematica and how is it used for plotting?

Mathematica is a software program developed by Wolfram Research that is used for mathematical and scientific computing. It has built-in functions and algorithms for data analysis, visualization, and plot creation. With Mathematica, users can input mathematical and numerical expressions to generate high-quality plots and graphs.

2. Can I import data from external sources for plotting in Mathematica?

Yes, Mathematica allows users to import data from a variety of external sources including text files, spreadsheets, and databases. The imported data can then be manipulated and plotted using Mathematica's functions and tools.

3. What types of plots can be created with Mathematica?

Mathematica has a wide range of built-in plot types, including line graphs, scatter plots, bar charts, histograms, and more. Users can also create custom plots by combining different plot types and adding annotations, labels, and other elements.

4. Can I customize the appearance of my plots in Mathematica?

Yes, Mathematica offers a variety of options for customizing the appearance of plots. Users can change the colors, styles, and sizes of data points and lines, as well as add labels, legends, and other visual elements to enhance the plot's presentation.

5. Is Mathematica the same as Wolframalpha?

No, Mathematica and Wolframalpha are two separate software programs developed by the same company. Wolframalpha is an online computational knowledge engine that can perform various calculations and generate plots and graphs, while Mathematica is a desktop software program used for advanced mathematical and scientific computing.