Point charge - Assertion & Reason type problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem related to AR type problems and the correctness of certain propositions. The participants have different opinions and are trying to determine the correct proposition out of five choices. They also mention the importance of the assertion and justification for that assertion in determining the correctness of the proposition.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

assertion.png
ChargeAR.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

These AR type problems are mostly tricky and debatable . To me, A is correct and R is wrong . Although electron is approximated to be a point particle , but I think if R is true , then A will be wrong .

I think c) is correct . I might be wrong .

I would like to know experts view on this .

Attachments

• ChargeAR.jpg
    ChargeAR.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 570
  • assertion.png
    assertion.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 730
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd go for c, but the form of the assertion is a bit unusual. The assertion is not "a point charge is impossible"; rather, it is in itself a line of reasoning, that "since matter..." etc. So if that reasoning is faulty, would we say A is false even though we may agree that a point charge is not possible?

Likes Jahnavi
I am not sure I understand the question. Are we trying to pick out a correct proposition out of the 5 choices? (a) to (d) are not propositions at all. They contain only the "if" part, with no "then". The only complete proposition is (e).

Chandra Prayaga said:
I am not sure I understand the question. Are we trying to pick out a correct proposition out of the 5 choices? (a) to (d) are not propositions at all. They contain only the "if" part, with no "then". The only complete proposition is (e).
In the lower box, the A is an assertion, which may be true or false; the R is a supposed justification for the assertion. The R may be true or false in itself, and it might or might be reasonable to deduce A from R.
The task is to determine which combination of those possibilities applies, as listed in a to e.

Likes Jahnavi

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is an idealized concept in physics that represents a single, infinitesimally small source of electric charge. It has no physical dimensions and is usually used to simplify calculations in electrostatics.

2. What is an assertion & reason type problem?

An assertion & reason type problem is a type of question often seen in physics and other sciences where two statements are given - an assertion and a reason - and the student must determine if both statements are true and if the reason is a correct explanation for the assertion.

3. How do you solve a point charge assertion & reason type problem?

To solve a point charge assertion & reason type problem, you must carefully read and understand both the assertion and the reason before determining if they are both true. Then, consider the laws and principles of electrostatics to determine if the reason is a valid explanation for the assertion.

4. Can a point charge exist in real life?

No, a point charge is an idealized concept and cannot exist in real life. All objects have physical dimensions and therefore cannot be considered a point charge. However, point charges are useful in theoretical calculations and models.

5. What are some applications of point charges in science?

Point charges are often used in physics and engineering to model and analyze various systems and phenomena, such as electric fields, circuits, and particle interactions. They are also used in the study of atomic and molecular structures and in medical imaging techniques such as MRI.