1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Point Charges True and False problems

1. Mar 3, 2007 #1
    I'm currently taking first year physics in university and I have an online assignment due tonight. Due to it being saturday, I cannot contact any of the TAs or professors for help, and my friends and I are stumped.

I had 15 tries at answering this question and now I only have 2 left.
    The attached image contains the question.

My current guess is:
    A: I don't know
    B: I don't know this one either
    C: False because the electric fields don't cancel each-other out
    D: False because the field isn't symmetrical enough. It would probably point closer to -x + y/2
    E: False, the lighter mass on the left would accelerate faster with the equal force
    F: False? (I don't think this zeroes, but this is kind of a guess)

I would really like to understand how to do this, and unfortunately my class notes, textbook and friends have failed to get me the right answer so far.

I would really appreciate it if I could have even just one of these multiple choice questions explained to me. To be honest I'm really not sure what I'm doing and my friends finished their assignments (similar questions) through a lot of guesswork.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted