Consider the path of a comet orbiting a star, the system of the comet plus the star. Which of the following statements are correct?
Select all that are True.
1) As the comet slows down, the kinetic energy of the system decreases.
2) As the comet's kinetic energy increases, the gravitational potential energy of the system also increases.
3) External work must be done on the system to speed up the comet.
4) As the kinetic energy of the system increases, the gravitational potential energy of the system decreases.
5) As the comet slows down, energy is lost from the system.
The Attempt at a Solution
1) True (If the speed is decreasing means the KE is decreasing)
2) False (If KE increases, then PE decreases)
3) False (Not sure on this one)
4) True (If KE increases, then PE decreases)
5) True ( If speed is decreasing mean it is losing energy)
This was incorrect. I am not sure why. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.[/B]